Anti Lag EVO

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
what the hell is anti lag? i believe they mean its on a 2 step

There are many names for it, anti lag kinda defines what it is though where as 2 step is more of a slang term used by people that already know what it is.

things to do when dyno racing your car...

1)don't leave hood propped open... that poor hood lol
2)Don't bring a dumb ass friend that jumps up and down like Eminem's wigger ass while making a cool video.
3)Do like this guy did, strap the fuck out of the car lol!

K0R3AN

I Love Lamp!
Apr 29, 2008
Denver, CO
i thought anti lag was used prelaunch. what i've always thought was from changing the valve timing, it actually dumped fuel into your turbo and ignited the excess fuel. that way your turbo builds boosted before you even leave the line. and 2step was just the function of electronically holding your rpms at a certain level so you minimize wheel spin from a launch...

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
totally stole this thanks Wikipedia!!

What it is...

It was used in the early days of turbocharging in F1 until fuel restrictions made it's use unsuitable. Later it became a common feature in rally cars due to the mandated restrictors on the turbocharger inlet. Because of the pressure drop across the restriction, the pressure ratio for a given boost level is much higher and the turbocharger must spin a lot faster to produce the same boost as before. This increases turbo lag significantly compared to unrestricted turbochargers.

An ALS system requires an air bypass, and generally this is done in one of two ways. The first method is to use a throttle air bypass; this may be an external bypass valve or a solenoid valve which opens up the throttle 12-20 degrees. This allows air to bypass the closed throttle and to reach the engine. The second method is to use a bypass valve which feeds charge air directly to the exhaust manifold.

Uses....

Today's WRC cars also use anti-lag systems which feed air directly to the exhaust system. The reason is that these systems are more refined, more effective with advanced computer control, and also quieter. Today this kind of system has reached such a refinement that it’s even possible to use the system in a road car. A recent example is the Prodrive P2 prototype. The system works by bypassing charge air directly to the exhaust manifold which acts as a combustor when fuel rich exhaust from the engine meets up with the fresh air from the bypass. This will provide a continuous combustion limited to the exhaust manifold which significantly reduces the heat and pressure loads on the engine and turbocharger. With the latest anti-lag systems the bypass valve can not only be opened or closed but it can actually control the flow of air to the exhaust manifold very accurately. The turbocharger is fitted with a turbo speed sensor and the engine management system has a map based on throttle position and car speed which is used to find a suitable turbocharger speed and boost pressure for every condition. When the engine alone can’t provide enough exhaust energy to reach the turbo speed/boost demanded by the management system, the bypass valve opens and exhaust manifold combustion begins. This not only reduces turbo lag, but it also allows boost to be produced at very low engine speeds where boost was previously limited by compressor surge or exhaust energy. With relatively high boost at low speeds, this makes the low end torque superior even to large naturally aspirated engines. The system is quite loud and is banned on some rallies because of the noise it produces.

i thought anti lag was used prelaunch. what i've always thought was from changing the valve timing, it actually dumped fuel into your turbo and ignited the excess fuel. that way your turbo builds boosted before you even leave the line. and 2step was just the function of electronically holding your rpms at a certain level so you minimize wheel spin from a launch...

that is what antilag is ladies and gents ^

2 steps just cut the coils of opposite cylinders to hold it at a certian rpm.

antilag cuts timing and adds fuel to build boost

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.

Almost correct. It retards ignition timing, not valve timing. This causes the spark/combustion event to occur with the exhaust valve slightly open, hence creating greater amounts of exhaust/heat energy flowing through and spooling the turbo.

a 2 step is not any sort of slang, it's a reference to having two different rev limiters. Instead of just a max rpm limit, you can also adjust a second rpm limit for launch control/no lift shifts/etc. There are also 3step ignition boxes available too.

You can/will still build boost off of a 2 step even without changing timing. For reference, my car builds about 6psi at 5500 and 9psi at 6200 on the 2 step with no adjustment to timing. By retarding timing I could probably see about 15psi prior to launch (manual car).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info