t56 shifters

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
This is mainly for anyone who open tracks a t56 mustang.
The trans shifts fine on the street and third, or any gear for that matter never give me any issues.
This weekend was my first track event on the t56 I put in the car last winter and I was having problems hitting third gear both days. I ground the shit out of it multiple times or hit the shift gate, and then on one run coming down the front straight I shifted from second to third and it went right into first, so my car saw a good 9500-10k rpms. luckily the motor held up fine.:dunno:

I dunno if there might be an issue with maybe my third gear synchro or if the stock shifter is really that big of a pos. I'm eyeing that riduclously expensive agent 47 extended shifter arm, and I'm open to suggestions as far as a new actual shifter goes.

I never had shifting issues on the stock shifter on the tr3650, and I swapped cars with a buddy for a session and he was having some issues getting into third as well. I did do the solid steeda shifter bushings but everything else is stock t56 hardware.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
MGW all the way.

I had a Steeda Tri-Ax initially and it worked / felt just fine, but it was very noisy. Also had to cut the inner shift boot to make the Steeda fit.

The MGW is a perfect fit and no cutting required.

+1 on EVERYTHING - steeda was way too noisy and felt extremely notchy. the mgw is less notchy (its still a t56 :p) and no noise at all. make sure you get a cobra bob shifter gasket set too, that also helps with noise

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I liked the stock shifter on the street, but I was really having trouble finding gears on the track, I even caught fourth a couple times trying to downshift into second. Other than this my car was performing flawlessly so it was a little upsetting.
I do have a clutch quad and fw adjuster already. My TO bearing is going bad but I'll take care of that over winter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info