Cooling fan

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
As many of you know the car's been apart for a couple weeks for a head gasket that blew when the thermostat got stuck shut. It's all back together except for the intake and valve covers. I ordered a fluidyne radiator because the stock one was just old and too small. I also picked up a taurus fan because they are supposed to flow pretty good. Few questions for you wiring guys, what's the best way to wire this thing up? I'd have to make my own brackets and then figure out how the coolant reservoir is going to fit in there, not so sure about that. Is it really that much better than stock? Here's a few pics. I'm considering just bolting the stock fan back up because I don't like the idea of redoing the wiring, overflow tank, and brackets.... car should run cooler anyway, even with the stock fan since it has the new, huge radiator.

FYI when the car was running fine w/o any air bubbles and w/o the thermostat, it would stay under 200 degrees at all times on the stock fan and radiator.

The taurus fan supposedly draws a lot of current when it's switched on and such, also, most say you can't just run a switch for them.

What would I have to do to correctly hook up a manual switch to the stock fan so that I can run it whenever I want (in the staging lanes, right before a burnout, you get the idea)? Wiring just really isn't my thing.

plug in for stock fan

fan002small.jpg

taurus fan
fan003small.jpg

the 2 compared (original on left)

fan001small.jpg

And, for the hell of it, old and new radiator.

radiator001small.jpg

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
the fan has a high and low setting. One wire is ground, which goes to ground, and the other 2 are the wires for high/low. Find out which wire is high and use that one, dont use low setting. Get a 75 amp relay off ebay like I showed you and wire up a switch to that.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
As many of you know the car's been apart for a couple weeks for a head gasket that blew when the thermostat got stuck shut. It's all back together except for the intake and valve covers. I ordered a fluidyne radiator because the stock one was just old and too small. I also picked up a taurus fan because they are supposed to flow pretty good.

FYI when the car was running fine w/o any air bubbles and w/o the thermostat, it would stay under 200 degrees at all times on the stock fan and radiator.

The stock radiator is two years old with approx. 800 miles on it. With the stock fan, you should be able to get a few dollars for it on Corral, Craigslist or SN95forum.

The stock radiator is also used in the Factory Stock class as it is light and has a lower capacity than an aftermarket.

The thermostat becoming stuck has my head scratching, but stranger things have happened with that car...

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Car is all back together, for some goddamn reason the fans in these cars don't come on until 208 degrees...?! Either way it's running good, i need to hook it up to a switch but the hardware stores are closed.

-Ensure the cooling fan is up to par. The stock 94-95 GT fan is a two speed unit. Low speed comes on at ~208*F. High speed comes on at ~228*F. To check if the appropriate fan is being triggered by the computer: To check low speed fan operation, look for 12 volts at CCRM pin 14 with ECT temps greater than ~208*F To check high speed fan triggering, look for continuity to ground at CCRM Pin 17.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks! I ended up using the stocker, if you want to wire the bigger taurus fan up to your car you're more than welcome, I have no use for it.

Thanks I would, but my car runs very cool:dancenana:, When I drove it to kurgan after 2 1/2 hrs of driving it went straight on the dyno, the intake air temps were at 120s, and forgot what the motor was at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info