Upgrading 2004 F150

Well a friend of mine wants to do some upgrading to his 2004 Ford F150, 4X4 5.4 V8. He is not too much of a mechanic or good with computers so I told him I'd help him out.

He wants to get a computer tuner, intake, and cat-back.

I was thinking to steer him towards a K&N FIPK? He said he wants a flowmaster sound, but all the flows in my experience drone. I was thinking steer him towards a magnaflow setup.

As for the tuner, I was thinking this would be a good choice.

http://www.klassedirect.com/disp20f1prpr.html

These do improve how hard the truck will shift, correct? And I believe the 04 F150 has the "drive by wire" setup, and would the tuner improve the throttle response at all so it will have less delay, or is an upgraded throttle body needed?

Thanks!

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
He wants to get a computer tuner, intake, and cat-back.

1.I was thinking to steer him towards a K&N FIPK? He said he wants a flowmaster sound, but all the flows in my experience drone. I was thinking steer him towards a magnaflow setup.

2.As for the tuner, I was thinking this would be a good choice.

http://www.klassedirect.com/disp20f1prpr.html

3.These do improve how hard the truck will shift, correct? And I believe the 04 F150 has the "drive by wire" setup, and would the tuner improve the throttle response at all so it will have less delay, or is an upgraded throttle body needed?

Thanks!
1.You can check K&N, AIRaid, Volant, Banks might make one, AEM, AFE, and True Flow.

2.Cant go wrong with a Diablo, maybe shop around for Hypertech, Superchips, SCT Livewire tuner. Whatever you do don't buy Jetchip, they fucking blow.

3.Most hand held tuners will have an improve shift firmness option and some other goodies. They usually tell you what can be adjusted in the specifications of the product. Better throttle response might vary with the drive by wire. You'll probably just notice it from the added hp across the range. Getting a bigger TB would be a waste unless you dive deeper into the performance options. Stock TB are usually good with just the air in, exhaust out, different tune mods.

EDIT: HP and Torque could vary, you might notice something you might not. Sound will be very much improved. I'm just helping you with some options

I don't believe he tows a whole lot with it. When I had my Mustang, all the other Mustang nuts raved about those tuners (but I never could afford one for mine).

He told me he wants to be able to push his foot to the floor and smoke the tires. I have driven the truck and the drive by wire is super smooth, but it has a delay that maybe if it was eliminated, it could give better response.

Thanks for the info!!!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't believe he tows a whole lot with it. When I had my Mustang, all the other Mustang nuts raved about those tuners (but I never could afford one for mine).

He told me he wants to be able to push his foot to the floor and smoke the tires. I have driven the truck and the drive by wire is super smooth, but it has a delay that maybe if it was eliminated, it could give better response.

Thanks for the info!!!

Has it had the TPS sensor replaced?

There is a TSB on all 04-05 ford drive by wire cars to replace the TPS sensor.

My car had terrible throttle response for 3 days after buying it, then the CEL came on, and they replaced the TPS and flashed the ECU and it was like night and day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info