So the "black box" in the GT-R is actual going to be mandaotory in all cars by 2012?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So the "black box" in the GT-R is actual going to be mandaotory in all cars by 2012?

i did not know this

A Florida man named Scott Weires has canceled the order for his long-awaited Nissan GT-R. Why? It's not that he was disappointed in the car's performance credentials, far from it. The problem is that the GT-R is equipped with a 'black box', similar in theory to the kind found on airplanes to help determine what went wrong in case of an accident or breakdown. By the end of 2012, car buyers won't have a choice as to whether their new car is equipped with a 'black box,' or Electronic Data Recorder -- they will be federally mandated to carry one. These devices track information that could be useful to the manufacturer in determining exactly what is, or has been, going on with a car. There are a few worries, though, that warranty claims could be denied if the automaker, Nissan in this case, deems that the car was being raced or abused in some way or by police or lawyers to determine culpability. Nissan's GT-R carries an on-board recorder that keeps track of the past few day's worth of driving and cannot be disabled. In the case of Scott Weires, an attorney no less, that was enough to look elsewhere. Would it be for you?

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
omg.... As if camera's at every stoplight, camera's on the highway, I-pass being monitored (supposedly) wasn't enough now they have to know exactly what you are doing in YOUR fucking car? Does it even matter though? Most dealers won't warranty anything unless you threaten them with their lives, and sometimes that won't work, cheap f-ing bastards.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Looks like I won't be buying a brand new car for anything other than a DD!

At least it's only with new cars!

Looks like i'm never buying a new car past 2012. I don't think i'm the paranoid "they're implanting babies with chips" type of person. But when i see this all i see is another invasion of privacy. I'm free to do whatever i want wherever i want. I'm also free to accept the consequences of my actions. Its no business of a cop to know that i speed atleast 10mph over everywhere i go. Thats what they are paid to do, catch me speed. Not have computers do their jobs for them.

I'll step down from my soapbox, excuse my interruption.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
i'm getting squeezed by 2 semis on the highway and i gun it to avoid the squeeze. how the fuck is a black box to know that i broke the speed limit to Not get into an accident.

Will the black box be GPS based too? What if you're in the snow, wheels spinning and an indicated 50mph, while you're trying to get out of a pickle? Then someone hits you, are the cops going to think that you were going 50mph in the snow and being an idiot?

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
reminds me of the time i was driving through a snow storm with the PT. 355 wasn't plowed yet and i was chuggin along at 60mph while people in suvs were slidin all over the fucking place. I just let the front tires follow the tracks a little and didn't fight her if she wanted to shimmy a little. I guess a PT Cruiser is a better winter vehicle than a 5K lb 4x4?:dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Bunch of BS, used cars for the rest of my life it is.

If I get something new I guess it would have to be a Caterham...

excellent choice! i'll get an Atom and we can drive everywhere really fast with our cheeks flapping in the wind....:bigthumb:

we'll have to get matching driving gloves, scarves and goggles though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info