clutch question

teamstorm02

Addict
Oct 3, 2006
how much tq can a stock gt clutch handle? last time i took my car to the track i had to slip it alot to keep it from spinning so much cause i didnt have drag radials and im kinda worried about burnin it out... and i dont wanna go spend the money on a new spec clutch cause i have one sittin in the garage waiting for my new motor with a 8 bolt crank... but thats gonna be about a year from now before i do that... so i guess my question is should i worry about my clutch burnin up on me?

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
How many miles are on the stock clutch?

Turbos don't hit right away so your drivetran is thanking you for that...but if you dont have many mile on it, it should be ok

Get a drag radial so you dont slip the clutch at the track, if you decide to go

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
how much tq can a stock gt clutch handle? last time i took my car to the track i had to slip it alot to keep it from spinning so much cause i didnt have drag radials and im kinda worried about burnin it out... and i dont wanna go spend the money on a new spec clutch cause i have one sittin in the garage waiting for my new motor with a 8 bolt crank... but thats gonna be about a year from now before i do that... so i guess my question is should i worry about my clutch burnin up on me?

Its gonna burn out faster with the drag radials. Stay away from the track until youre ready to drop in your new motor and drivetrain. Have fun on the street and enjoy what you have this summer IMO.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
If memory serves me right, I could be a little off since I never had a Spec clutch, but with a Pulley, tune and DR's ='s 15-20 passes on a stock clutch, new or not. OK, maybe 25. Of course, that's taking it out at 4200+ other wise you're wasting your time. You need at least a DFX or a Spec 3+ and a 26 spline input shaft and then you get 35-50 passes and 3-5000 miles tops.
Learn how to change it yourself and you'll save a fortune.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
If memory serves me right, I could be a little off since I never had a Spec clutch, but with a Pulley, tune and DR's ='s 15-20 passes on a stock clutch, new or not. OK, maybe 25. Of course, that's taking it out at 4200+ other wise you're wasting your time. You need at least a DFX or a Spec 3+ and a 26 spline input shaft and then you get 35-50 passes and 3-5000 miles tops.
Learn how to change it yourself and you'll save a fortune.
I dunno about that, I put about 50 passes on the stock clutch and it still had some meat left when I put the Spec 3+ in

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I dunno about that, I put about 50 passes on the stock clutch and it still had some meat left when I put the Spec 3+ in

Hence the " If memory serves me right " . I'm pretty sure I wore out the first stock one learning and trying to get good times on street tires, the second stock one on DR's, 2 DFX's, and so far 3 Mcleods for a GT of 200+ passes, but I could be wrong.......NOT!

teamstorm02

Addict
Oct 3, 2006
yeah i have a spec 3+ how much does a stock gt clutch go for? cheaper than buyin performance for sure right? cause i dont like my 12.97 @ 117 i want to at least get a mid-low 12 and then i will be satisfied and then i will stay away from the track haha unless i break something:stick: which would not be good... and ive realized learning how to do the stuff urself saves alot of money... ive done everything to my car myself... other than the gears... its shouldnt be to difficult right? if its easier than a turbo install... im good! haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info