another anyone know anything about...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
pontiac vibes...

yeah i know they are super lame looking... but you can get like an 03 or 04 for around 7-8k... with under 80k miles on them...

and they are made by toyota...

anyone have any knowledge or complaints or likings with them....

moreover looking at function over form here...

(apparently they are the same as toyota matrix's...)

The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix were introduced in 2003 as a compact wagon to provide an answer to those looking for a performance-oriented Corolla Wagon, or a domestically-nameplated, small utility vehicle. The secret? Essentially a tall, extended Corolla with GM parts (radio, miscellaneous parts, etc.) + great FE to boot.

im gonna start looking for one of these...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/843181783.html

Last edited:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
2009-toyota-matrixhl-001.jpg

i think the new matrix looks cool. the vibes are ugly but i've never been in one. my wife had one as a rental car for a day and all she had to say was that she didnt like the steering wheel/column positions.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
2009-toyota-matrixhl-001.jpg

i think the new matrix looks cool. the vibes are ugly but i've never been in one. my wife had one as a rental car for a day and all she had to say was that she didnt like the steering wheel/column positions.

I am agreeing with you on the Vibe part... The following picture is what I thought I saw at Bachrodt Buick Pontiac (Bachrodt on State) here in Rockford... I said "Ewwwww Looks like a fucking Prius..."

600-Pontiac-Vibe-front.jpg

Last edited:

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
We use both the toyota matrix and pontiac Vibe to haul stuff all the time.
Both are 04s that we use, but id imagine they are the same till 06.
Good gas mileage and they take weight pretty well, well as good as 4 cylinder hauler could be. Not the roomest but not bad either. I like the Vibe better. the exterior is cheesier on the matrix and the interior on the vibe looks a little better. Brakes suck on both models if carrying more then one person and any kind of load. winter traction is pretty decent. better then a GP anyways. Both we have drive are 2wd.

For what you get 7-8k with low mileage is a deal.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We use both the toyota matrix and pontiac Vibe to haul stuff all the time.
Both are 04s that we use, but id imagine they are the same till 06.
Good gas mileage and they take weight pretty well, well as good as 4 cylinder hauler could be. Not the roomest but not bad either. I like the Vibe better. the exterior is cheesier on the matrix and the interior on the vibe looks a little better. Brakes suck on both models if carrying more then one person and any kind of load. winter traction is pretty decent. better then a GP anyways. Both we have drive are 2wd.

For what you get 7-8k with low mileage is a deal.

thats some good info...

my gp is a snowmobile in the snow tho... nd i cant imagine this being better... but if you say so thats good stuff.

i like the older vibes more than the older matrix's... the older matrix's have the lame lower air damn that screams rice.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
I am agreeing with you on the Vibe part... The following picture is what I thought I saw at Bachrodt Buick Pontiac (Bachrodt on State) here in Rockford... I said "Ewwwww Looks like a fucking Prius..."

600-Pontiac-Vibe-front.jpg

holy crap.

the new ones look like a mazda 3/prius and new sti had a field day on eachother and this is what resulted.

NewVibePics012DesktopResolution.jpg

I said it looked like a Prius in the picture I posted, but I see your point on the Mazda 3 and the STi too...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
There a difference between adequate and wimpy. I'm not talking about a racecar. I'm talking about something that has at least some balls. There are plenty of other cars that you can get for under 8k that get better than 30 mpg that at least have some balls.

show me.... awd. that fits my 6 foot 6 punkass self.

and can have snowboarding shit thrown all in it and on it.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
130hp version is the only one suggested to mod(i wouldnt suggest it but you can turbo them for decent HP gain). The compression is too high on the models with i. Not to mention shittier MPG then the base motor.
i wouldnt say the base 1.8 is a dog either. We have had them packed to the gills and still had no trouble merging or passing.
Id suggest getting it.
If you want to make the car more fun throw a set of good tires on a set of 17" rims. It helped these cars quite a bit. Tho the AWD model might have bigger tires and rims over the base,im not sure

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
The thing that nobody seems to know is that TRD (Toyota Racing Development)and GMPP (GM Performance Parts) sell a supercharger for the Vibe/Matrix:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Vibe-Super-Charger-Automatic-Trans-12498927-P844C0.aspx

http://pontiacpartspeople.com/searc...215883721779&year=03&productdesc=Supercharger

They even warranty it for 3Yr/36K if the dealership installs it.
There are also different pulley's from Eaton. You can get the engines up into the low 200hp range with some work and other parts from TRD.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Bmw 325xi

Sorry I had a 325Xi and it doesn't get 30mpg, Won't hold snowboards because the "winter package" feed-thru will barely hold 2 pairs of ski's.
The boards would have to go on top which will reduce MPG.

If you want to get something to haul equipment, A 325Xi isn't going to cut it. Stick to the crossover and ute's. We got rid of out 2002 325Xi a few months ago and now have a Pontiac Torrent. Surprisingly the Torrent gets better gas mileage (both city and highway) and is just as fast as the 325Xi was but can hold volumes more cargo.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Was going for a general "around" 30 mpg for most of the cars listed. Yeah not ALL of them are going to get 30 mpg, but they are right around the 26-34 ish highway mpg. The Vibe will probably get around 30-32 on the highway as the AWD will generally knock an MPG or two off and because its an auto probably another 1 or 2 mpg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info