Need to find a good drivetrain shop

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I need a reputable shop to take a look at my rear axle. Moser 9" with Detroit Locker. The closer to home (Sandwich) the better.

The car recently started driving strange. Rear seems to have a lot of lash, and makes a clunk when getting on or off the throttle. Rear of car also torques to the side sometimes if I get on the throttle from a roll.

Any suggestions? Wasn't there a shop in Oswego that Larry (GNXS) took his car to to repair his rear?

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
No, I actually bought it used from a guy in Roselle. He told me that he bought it from Speed Inc, but I don't know if they installed it, etc.

Thanks dude. This is frustrating. The only reason I bought a 9" was I wanted a "bulletproof" rear because I got tired of hurting the stock rear.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Speed Inc has NOTHING to do with this thread. The only reason they were even mentioned is because the rear was originally bought there. They have absolutely nothing to do with the problem I am having.

I bought the rear used, and it has been in my car for the better part of a year with no problems until recently. It's funny how you people are quick to blame Speed Inc for things they have nothing to do with. :rolleyes:

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
I need a reputable shop to take a look at my rear axle. Moser 9" with Detroit Locker. The closer to home (Sandwich) the better.

The car recently started driving strange. Rear seems to have a lot of lash, and makes a clunk when getting on or off the throttle. Rear of car also torques to the side sometimes if I get on the throttle from a roll.

Any suggestions? Wasn't there a shop in Oswego that Larry (GNXS) took his car to to repair his rear?

That clunking is normal for a locker, the feeling of it rolling to the side is too. I installed a Moser 9 in a 2001 GT last year and it did the same thing. They are brutally strong but are not as quiet as a limited slip diff. A lash problem usually won't make a clunking noise unless something in the rear has let loose.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
That clunking is normal for a locker, the feeling of it rolling to the side is too. I installed a Moser 9 in a 2001 GT last year and it did the same thing. They are brutally strong but are not as quiet as a limited slip diff. A lash problem usually won't make a clunking noise unless something in the rear has let loose.

That may be true, but it got a LOT worse a couple weekends ago after beating on the car a little bit. The clunking is a new sound. Last year the rear of the car would torque to the side a bit pulling away from a stop driving normally but isn't there when I launch the car hard. It launched straight, and the best I can tell it still does.

Regardless, I'm going to have it checked out for peace of mind. Besides, it's leaking a little bit so the third member needs to come out to be sealed back up anyway.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Like Joe said, I bet it is the locker. My car will not make a noise for months. Then I will get a loud bang or clunking once in a while. Then quiet for a long time. On/off situations is where it makes the most noise and movements.

Have it checked out. But I bet it is in your head.

Yeah, I got a lot of shit rattling around in my head. :p

When the noise started a couple weekends ago, my nephew was in the car with me and he even said something sounded different, and he's only been in the car a couple times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info