Am I screwed now ????

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Well, my original plans of building a 408w for my Cobra this winter went to hell since I ended up being unemployed for 6 months.... Unfortunately before that happened I pulled the 302 out (October) and threw the engine onto an engine stand and wheeled it into the garage. The heads have been off it since then because I had them cleaned up and new springs added to them for the added lift I was planning on with the 408.

Never thinking I would be in this situation though, the 302 just sat with oil in it, and when I dug it out of the corner the other day theres a bunch of crap all over it almost like a mouse made a nest in one of the open cylinders. Alot of wood shavings, dust from sitting, and what looks like shavings of newspaper were in the one cylinder, but some was in the lifter valley, etc...

Should I be okay just blowing all that crap out of there, or am I going to have to pull the thing apart further ??? I already planned on replacing all the seals so the oil pan gasket (which was leaking) is going to come off anyway, so is there anything I should be looking into while its off ??? Can I just use compressed air to dlow out all the water jackets and all that ???

I have a feeling I might just be being paranoid right now, but wanted to verify.

I now know to put a bag over it next time, but where should I go from here with it this time ???

Also, should I use some carb cleaner or something to clean all the carbon off the piston faces, or is that a waste of time ???

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
blow it out he best u can ...cleaning the carbon isnt gunna do much

what shop is putting the motor back together

Nobody. The motor is still in shortblock form so I was just going to replace all the gaskets, toss the heads back on and drive it this year and hope that the money situation straightens itself out for the 408 next year...

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
You should be fine. Just make sure to clean it up good. You can clean the tops of the pistons with carb cleaner if you want. Won't hurt anything.

While you have it apart I would order a set of ARP head studs. Use those instead of the bolts to put the heads back on. Just incase you decide to throw some boost at it. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info