Bleeding Brake Lines... school me please!

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
So whenever I change the brakes, I don't usually bleed the brakes. Well, I had to replace a caliper this time, so I know that I MUST bleed them. I think I remember reading about it before and people saying that it's a fairly easy task to do, especially if you get one of the "one person bleeding kits" or something like that. Anyone care to give me some info on this job? Maybe a "Brake Line Bleeding For Dummies" :confused: Thx!

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
If you only replaced one caliper (and swapped it quickly), you only have to bleed that one corner. As long as the level in the master didn't drain down to permit air to enter the system (as is the case if the car sits for a while with an open corner circuit), you should be fine.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
If you only replaced one caliper (and swapped it quickly), you only have to bleed that one corner. As long as the level in the master didn't drain down to permit air to enter the system (as is the case if the car sits for a while with an open corner circuit), you should be fine.

Yeah, that's what I figured I needed to do, but have never bled the brake lines before. I found a few videos online and it really doesn't look very difficult. Worst part should just be pulling off the wheel to get to the bleeder valve...

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Those instructions say to pump the brake pedal 15 times.

I always thought that you weren't supposed to do that because it may cause the brake fluid to foam up. I always just press down once firmly on the pedal, then open the bleeder.

Seems to work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info