Tips for getting off rusted rotors?

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
Nah, youre not an idiot. You'd see it if it was there. On my 97, the first time I did the brakes, there was a very thin clip on one of the wheel studs that lightly held the rotor in place. I guess the were put on in the factory to hold the rotor in place to make other assembly easier. It just kept the rotor from flopping around in the absence of a caliper or wheel.

Id hit it with some wd-40 or pb blaster, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then use a rubber mallet.

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
Other than a BFH, any other tips on trying to get rotors off that are less than cooperating?

Really that is the best way if you dont have a torch. My F250 I had to beat the hell out of them to get them off. Just work your way around them with a good size hammer and they should pop off. Nowadays the rotors as rule are not made to cut anyways, just pick up a new set of rotors and go to town on them. Also there should have been retaining clip on those rotors they have been putting those on for many years now but if the brakes have been done before they are probably long gone by now.

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
really that is the best way if you dont have a torch. My f250 i had to beat the hell out of them to get them off. Just work your way around them with a good size hammer and they should pop off. Nowadays the rotors as rule are not made to cut anyways, just pick up a new set of rotors and go to town on them. Also there should have been retaining clip on those rotors they have been putting those on for many years now but if the brakes have been done before they are probably long gone by now.

+1

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I agree with Brian, this is clip some people are talking about.

rotor_retainer_clip.jpg

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
I agree with Brian, this is clip some people are talking about.

rotor_retainer_clip.jpg

Ah... I see what you are talking about... no, there isn't a clip on it, I know for sure since I've been trying to pump WD-40 back behind the rotor through the studs...

Just picked up a BFH (3lb I believe) and also realized that I've got the wheels pointed straight, which hasn't really allowed me to get that good of a swing at the back of the rotor. After the kids are in bed, I'll crank the wheel so I have a little bit more room and visibility to the back of the rotor and "swing away" :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info