Broken Short Throw?!?!

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
If your getting a grind it could be internal in the trans... How was it after the incident? On a smooth shift into any gear what happened? When your parked with the car off can you put the car in a gear and is there any play like the mounting bolts are loose? Sounds more like a trans issue than shifter....

Rfstang01

Regular
Oct 28, 2008
If your getting a grind it could be internal in the trans... How was it after the incident? On a smooth shift into any gear what happened? When your parked with the car off can you put the car in a gear and is there any play like the mounting bolts are loose? Sounds more like a trans issue than shifter....

It still was a smooth tight shift into all the other gears and the reason i think its broken is because i broke my stock shifter and it was doing the same thing in 3rd...What do you guys think it is maybe a synchro?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Sounds like something that happened to me a few yrs ago. My shifter handle came loose and I think I broke something in the trans that then caused issues and my tranny went down hill and had to be replaced.

If you didn't know take the knob off, pull up on the bezel, it will pop off... but the cigarette lighter will be holding it too. You may have to removed the frame with rubber and then check the handle bolts.

If you are lucky as some have mentioned, it will just have come loose and nothing major will have been damaged.

GL

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
It still was a smooth tight shift into all the other gears and the reason i think its broken is because i broke my stock shifter and it was doing the same thing in 3rd...What do you guys think it is maybe a synchro?
Ok... Than its you shifting like an animal!...lol That makes sense than... As long as "normal" driving it shifts fine its more than likely not a trans issue.. I wanna know how you walk away from your car for a week and its not eating you up to see what the issue is... I would be in the garage removing the bezel and checking shit out.. I am OCD though...lol

Rfstang01

Regular
Oct 28, 2008
Ok... Than its you shifting like an animal!...lol That makes sense than... As long as "normal" driving it shifts fine its more than likely not a trans issue.. I wanna know how you walk away from your car for a week and its not eating you up to see what the issue is... I would be in the garage removing the bezel and checking shit out.. I am OCD though...lol

Well im away at college right now and i was home for the weekend and decided to take her out for a spin which is why i was driving like animal haha, but ya it happened on the way home and there was nothing i could do but put her away and wait until this friday. And dont worry im ocd too imma be in that garage until my fingers fall off or i figure it out:eek:h:

Rfstang01

Regular
Oct 28, 2008
Sounds like something that happened to me a few yrs ago. My shifter handle came loose and I think I broke something in the trans that then caused issues and my tranny went down hill and had to be replaced.

If you didn't know take the knob off, pull up on the bezel, it will pop off... but the cigarette lighter will be holding it too. You may have to removed the frame with rubber and then check the handle bolts.

If you are lucky as some have mentioned, it will just have come loose and nothing major will have been damaged.

GL

Did that happen to you in all gears or just one?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info