Crankcase pressure

RUBRMAN

Mar 9, 2006
I am having a problem with oil coming out my breather on the valve cover. It's not just a little oil, I have a rag tied around it so it wouldn't be so excessive running down the valve cover. I have to change the rag every time I boost the car. It just doesn't seem right. Should I go back to just using the oil cap? Do you guys even use breathers anymore? Does anybody else have a problem like this at all? I am running a Turbo on a 4v mod motor, with a mark 8 intake if that matters, but when I had the S trim on it with the same amount of boost no issues. The passenger side is completely sealed, no breathers at all. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

RUBRMAN

Mar 9, 2006
12-18psi. Where do I get this breather system your talking about. Or does anybody have pics of what it looks like? I get the concept of it, but I have never seen. Is it like running a evap system with a pump? Just a little confused. My oil pressure with an electric gauge reads like 70 psi at start up, then drops to 30-40psi when warm. Don't no what it goes to under boost. Car is a little squirly on cold pavement.

RUBRMAN

Mar 9, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 70
Oct 5, 2006
Having the timing retarded too much compared to where it makes best power can cause crankcase pressure issues. We usually use a Moroso catch can with a -12AN line coming off of each valve cover. If you're having issues after that you might also want to do a leak down test to see what condition your rings are in.

David @ DIDRace.Com

SHOgoFast

Nov 20, 2008
What PCV valve are you using? If it is not designed to hold boost you are very likly preasurizing the crankcase and will blow boatloads of oil out that breather.

I use a PCV from a Turbo T-Bird in my boosted SVT Contour. Before that I ran a stock PCV and breathers on my valve cover vents....terrible amounts of oil on the underside of the hood in that area and down the front of the valve cover.

Also, I am not very familiar with your motor but is it a MAF system? If so, wouldn't you want to recirculate the valve cover vents back into the intake after the MAF but before the Turbo/Super? If its a MAF system that is already metered air you are losing.

Sry if I am way off base on the Mark VIII motor.

I see you are right in Lombard too....I am just down the road in Villa Park. Be more than happy to take a look with you sometime.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info