Where can I get a good fire jacket?

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
After getting das boot at GLD for not having one (another reason I like Byron), I figure it is probably not a bad idea to invest in one. I found several, but they are all the same vanilla 1 color with oblgatory stripes design. There has to be an SVT or at least Ford racing themed one out there, I just haven't found it with over 1 hour of Google time spent on it. Help a brotha out!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
After getting das boot at GLD for not having one (another reason I like Byron), I figure it is probably not a bad idea to invest in one. I found several, but they are all the same vanilla 1 color with oblgatory stripes design. There has to be an SVT or at least Ford racing themed one out there, I just haven't found it with over 1 hour of Google time spent on it. Help a brotha out!
Does that car have a rollbar?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
How leniant(sp?) are they at Byron? If my setup performs well next year, I'll may break 9's...I'll probably need a cage then, huh? My budget for this just keeps growing...time to do work this winter!
GLD will be wondering why you don't have a cage if you show up with a fire jacket.

Byron won't let you run into the 9's without the proper safety stuff either. Mid 10's yea, low 10's maybe, but 9's.......nope.

You will be able to get away with 10's at GLD, but only on an RSD night.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
It will continue to be a street car until my expendable cash flow runs out. Once the SRT is gone, I am getting a big boost in expendable income...so who knows! If I don't build the motor, all this can be done easy. Built motor starts to squeeze my budget.
Built shortblock isn't bad......heads, cams, BS3, etc......those are the things that cost big $$$$.

Either way, I know you'll be flyin'. :biggthump

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Byron won't let you run into the 9's without the proper safety stuff either. Mid 10's yea, low 10's maybe, but 9's.......nope.

:thinking:

Cars have run in the 9's at Byron with out a roll bar or cage. Not the smartest thing to do. With all the money we spend on our cars to go fast it is bad that we don't spend money in places where it can save us injury or worse. I just did a cage, safety equipment and even plan to put a fire suppression system in the car. I think it is expensive to do all of that. But I think it is very much worth it. :biggthump

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Built shortblock isn't bad......heads, cams, BS3, etc......those are the things that cost big $$$$.

Either way, I know you'll be flyin'. :biggthump

Yea, Where does it end? lol

And as far as the cage or roll bar they can be built to be as lest intrusive as possible. Mine was a custom cage that is tucked up real well. And the door bars have a real nice swing out set up. So a cage can be legal and livable in a street car. You just have to pay to play.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
:thinking:

Cars have run in the 9's at Byron with out a roll bar or cage. Not the smartest thing to do. With all the money we spend on our cars to go fast it is bad that we don't spend money in places where it can save us injury or worse. I just did a cage, safety equipment and even plan to put a fire suppression system in the car. I think it is expensive to do all of that. But I think it is very much worth it. :biggthump
I was making a general statement Mike, obviously there are exceptions. :D

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004

And as far as the cage or roll bar they can be built to be as lest intrusive as possible. Mine was a custom cage that is tucked up real well. And the door bars have a real nice swing out set up. So a cage can be legal and livable in a street car. You just have to pay to play.
Dan needs it to be livable for 10 months each year, not one.:eek: :D

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007

My only fear is getting hit at like 10-15 mph on the street and banging my bare noggin on the bar(s). I suppose I could live with it otherwise.

I added the obligatory 15% for extra BS to my budget but it's looking more like an extra 30%. Either way, car will be moovin next spring!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
My only fear is getting hit at like 10-15 mph on the street and banging my bare noggin on the bar(s). I suppose I could live with it otherwise.

I added the obligatory 15% for extra BS to my budget but it's looking more like an extra 30%. Either way, car will be moovin next spring!

My head is nowhere near my cage when I am sitting in the seat. The closest spots have padding on them just in case. The cage is less than 1/2" from the headliner and moldings for it. It is tucked up nicely and does not interfear with the interior space much. But hitting the padding is much better than hitting the hard plastic or metal of the car too. But I hear your concerns for sure.

It is amazing how no matter how much you plan and budget you still spend more and more. lol

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
Dan needs it to be livable for 10 months each year, not one.:eek: :D

I'll meet ya 1/2 way and settle for 6 months. Mini-teardown should be kinda fun this winter. I think I'll start with built shortblock, retaining blower cams, KB 2.8, apparently cage, and maybe auto (still on the fence with that one). Jeeze, I bought this car cause it was already 'set up'. I guess I can't leave well enough alone.:biggthump

D

Drlee50

GLD will be wondering why you don't have a cage if you show up with a fire jacket.

You will be able to get away with 10's at GLD, but only on an RSD night.

you will be fine at byron. i only have a 6 point bolt in cage and i usually dont even put in the side bars. no jacket, out of cert helmet etc. run 9's all the time in the 150mph range. i have gone there for 16 years now but i am sure you will not be kicked out for dipping into the 9's. i do not advocate non-compliance with nhra rules though. I choose not to run a full cage b/c of street driving too. i am not driving to work with my helmet on. LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info