This is just retarded!

stunuts

My Member?!
Jul 28, 2008
Ok well this afternoon I go to start the cobra and it fires up no problem, but I hear a grinding noise coming from the motor. So I gave it so gas and it didn’t change pitch but it came back after it idled back down.

So I turn the car off and the engine shuts off, but the starter is still turning the engine over! So I start to freak run to my tool box, get a 8mm loosen a battery cable and it stops!

So I put it back on, get back in the car and now the car doesn’t start at all. No clicks, just the lights go dim and nothing happens. Now at first I thought ok there is a relay for the starter, nope. I called a ford dealer and they say its either the starter or the ignition switch.

I was to mad to take the starter out today, so tomorrow after football will have to do.

Anyone else have this crazy shit happen to them?

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
sounds like the ignition switch to me, if it was the starter it would just not work or only work randomly, I had this happen with my 91 GT but I never really tracked it down but I did buy a new starter and no difference.

sshocker96

Regular
Sep 13, 2005
Also check your grounds. I didn't have the starter continuing to run problem, but I did have the no reaction, lights go dim situation. Bought a new starter, relays, etc. Checked all cables from the battery, clutch switch, & nothing. While tracing the engine ground wire, the car started acting real funky. Tightened it up & the car fired right up.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
There is actually a relay for the starter, but it is built onto the starter.
Because the lights are dimming when you try to start the car now, my guess is it would be the starter, but you should always check the grounds and starter related wiring first as mentioned above.

stunuts

My Member?!
Jul 28, 2008
There is actually a relay for the starter, but it is built onto the starter.
Because the lights are dimming when you try to start the car now, my guess is it would be the starter, but you should always check the grounds and starter related wiring first as mentioned above.

The lights don't dim, I replaced the ignition switch and still the same thing now.

I jumped the starter with it installed and it worked, I didn't hold it but it did sound like it was going to have the strength to start the car.

The only thing I can think it is, was the ignition switch then when I turned the key the second time I heard a pop through the radio speakers but still everything responded to the key (everything turns off and back on)

Now it doesn't make any clicking noise when I turn the key it doesn't do anything!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
The lights don't dim, I replaced the ignition switch and still the same thing now.

I jumped the starter with it installed and it worked, I didn't hold it but it did sound like it was going to have the strength to start the car.

The only thing I can think it is, was the ignition switch then when I turned the key the second time I heard a pop through the radio speakers but still everything responded to the key (everything turns off and back on)

Now it doesn't make any clicking noise when I turn the key it doesn't do anything!
Replace the starter.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
In the first post you said the lights dimmed when you tried to start it. Now they don't?
Is the battery voltage at least 12.4 volts or so? How low does it go when you try to start it?

When you tried to jump it, which posts on the starter did you make contact with?
If it was the 2 larger posts on the solenoid, then you bypassed the solenoid. If it was the top larger one(from the battery) and the small one, then you may have a wiring issue or fuse problem. There is a starter related switch on the clutch pedal (almost like a neutral safety switch). You could check the switch to make sure it is working right.

You should retry the jump thing to see if it will actually crank the motor.

I still think the starter is bad, well actually the solenoid on the starter, but you buy them as a unit.

stunuts

My Member?!
Jul 28, 2008
In the first post you said the lights dimmed when you tried to start it. Now they don't?
Is the battery voltage at least 12.4 volts or so? How low does it go when you try to start it?

When you tried to jump it, which posts on the starter did you make contact with?
If it was the 2 larger posts on the solenoid, then you bypassed the solenoid. If it was the top larger one(from the battery) and the small one, then you may have a wiring issue or fuse problem. There is a starter related switch on the clutch pedal (almost like a neutral safety switch). You could check the switch to make sure it is working right.

You should retry the jump thing to see if it will actually crank the motor.

I still think the starter is bad, well actually the solenoid on the starter, but you buy them as a unit.

sorry my bad!

the lights don't dimm now, there is no noise from the starter when turning the key. But you can hear relays switching on and off.

I jumped the larger terminal with the small terminal on the starter larger terminal is constant 12v smaller is the switched 12v

I hope it is the starter, this shit is pissing me off!

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
Your car wants to sleep for winter! Too bad mine is down too or I'd borrow your meaty tires to rip off a couple 10 sec passes. If replacing the starter doens't fix the issue, lmk. You are more than welcome to borrow parts off my car while it's down to diagnose issue.

rlbforum

Apr 8, 2006
Same problem years ago. Turned out to be a bad ground from grounding strap. Battery was charged lights and stuff worked but would just click when I turned the key. Figured it was the starter but that checked out ok. loose ground cable fixed it.

Ok well this afternoon I go to start the cobra and it fires up no problem, but I hear a grinding noise coming from the motor. So I gave it so gas and it didn’t change pitch but it came back after it idled back down.

So I turn the car off and the engine shuts off, but the starter is still turning the engine over! So I start to freak run to my tool box, get a 8mm loosen a battery cable and it stops!

So I put it back on, get back in the car and now the car doesn’t start at all. No clicks, just the lights go dim and nothing happens. Now at first I thought ok there is a relay for the starter, nope. I called a ford dealer and they say its either the starter or the ignition switch.

I was to mad to take the starter out today, so tomorrow after football will have to do.

Anyone else have this crazy shit happen to them?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info