Build suggestions...

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
I've started saving, and have been doing research for a while on a build I am going to do. My goal is to be in the 800HP range. I have narrowed it down to two options...

1.) Use my current 1972 351W block (2 bolt main), get a 408 stroker kit and supercharge it.

or

2.) Buy a 351W man o war alluminum block, do the full 460ci with high compression and throw a 200-250 shot of nitrous on it. http://worldcastings.com/prods_pages/blocks/manowar_alum.htm

The most important concern for me is, the engine withstanding the power. I don't want to do a huge build, only to blow something up. My second concern is saving money, which I'm thinking would be the first route.

I appreciate all your opinions, and hope to be smoking your terminators soon :clap::joke:

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
sounds like two good plans. i have the same ideas as well. i really like that alluminum block but man is it expensive! the cheapest route is obviously to stay with what u have and throw an s/c on it. the motor can handle quite a bit with a good rotating assembly so i wouldnt worry too much.

i like doing things right the first time so go 460. i now kinda wish i never put the blower on my car. i like simple powerplants with very little issues. it seems like more issues arrise when when u add boost into the equation. im thinking of going with a 408 myself but i dont know much about the swap. did u go it yourself? what needs to be done? if u can PM that info that would be great!

good luck!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
The most important concern for me is, the engine withstanding the power.........My second concern is saving money
Those two goals are almost diametrically opposed to each other. Add in the fact that you want to make big power and you have the deadly triad:

1) Big Power
2) Big Reliability
3) Low Cost

Pick any two of the above, because all things being equal it's usually not possible to have all three.

Good Luck with the build. :headbang:

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for the replies,

Like I said, I am shooting for 700-800HP. I'd like to get in the tens. I plan on using the car for a summer/ nice weather car. From rough estimations, I am expecting to blow $25k on the build. I would rather have reliability than low cost.

One of my main concerns is, if I stick with my current block, that it will fail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info