my teacher didn't know this quesion and hope you guys can help me...

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
Today in class we were talking about the different types of materials used for making pistons. One of them was powdered metal. I asked why would you used powdered metal? I said wouldn't that repel the oil? The teacher flat out said that he gonna say something that he never would ever tell me. I just said, ooooh, what is it. He said, I don't know how to answer that. I just laughed and said, damn, I thought you were gonna say something good!! I then asked is it possible it would attract more nitrogen (the whole oxygen and nitrogen combustion thing)? He asked if I would look it up. I'm not finding squat, but I don't google shit that often.

I was hoping you guys (and girls) could help me???

Thanks. If you find something, can you PM me?!?!?!?

:kiss:

Michelle

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
When stuff is made of powder metal its not still powdery after its made. They compress the shit out of it and that what makes it solid. The heat is what fuses the powder together. Is that the answer. I'm not sure I get the question. E might be the guy to ask about this one.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
When stuff is made of powder metal its not still powdery after its made. They compress the shit out of it and that what makes it solid. The heat is what fuses the powder together. Is that the answer. I'm not sure I get the question. E might be the guy to ask about this one.

You got it right on the nose.

Think of it like a lump of coal. When put under extreme pressure you can come out with a diamond.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
there are many componants in engines that are made of powedered metal. the rods in my LT1 are powdered... to answer your question "why would you make something out of powdered metal?" is pretty simple, cost. it is cheaper to use this process than going out and casting or forging the parts and in most cases the parts are stronger than they need to be to get the job done. also IIRC the parts will generally end up weighing less than their cast equivalant, so that is another plus

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
awesome! Okay, I see the compressing the powder INTO the metal. A friend told me that would help withstand the heat. So we have the heat resistance. So scratch oil resistance. Now I'm wondering would that help with attracting nitrogen which may have to do with affinity of oxygen to increase the combustion? (I tend to think too much, sorry)

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
awesome! Okay, I see the compressing the powder INTO the metal. A friend told me that would help withstand the heat. So we have the heat resistance. So scratch oil resistance. Now I'm wondering would that help with attracting nitrogen which may have to do with affinity of oxygen to increase the combustion? (I tend to think too much, sorry)

are you asking if the pistons help with the combustion process because of the material they are made with? the answer to that is no.

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
are you asking if the pistons help with the combustion process because of the material they are made with? the answer to that is no.

I'm not really "asking" if pistons help with combustion process. My intiial iquiry was why the piston was made of powdered metal. Teach wasn't sure. My first response was, "wouldn't powder repel oil?" I didn't know manufacturing process. I am in school to learn. I am turning to my peers for help :) I got the answer on the manf. process. Now I wonder if the powder attracts the nitrogen which may attract the oxygen which "may" help with combustion. Problem is, I'm overthinking a probably very simple question.

she should ask him about composite connecting rods and lifters too

Nah, question is on the piston. Not gonna ask more than I need, LOL. This is only second week. Leave it to me to ask a question that the teacher didn't know and he is a VERY smart guy too.

do not expand when heated, holds shape, dispenses heat very well, BUT heavy like brick

Yes, ceramic does do that, but it IS heavy as hell. Takes forever to cool off. Isn't that what pizza stones are made of? mmmh, I'll have to go look at one now...

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I'm not really "asking" if pistons help with combustion process. My intiial iquiry was why the piston was made of powdered metal. Teach wasn't sure. My first response was, "wouldn't powder repel oil?" I didn't know manufacturing process. I am in school to learn. I am turning to my peers for help :) I got the answer on the manf. process. Now I wonder if the powder attracts the nitrogen which may attract the oxygen which "may" help with combustion. Problem is, I'm overthinking a probably very simple question.

you are talking about stuff that would assumibly be true at the atomic level, but what you need to remember is that there is a combustion cycle several times per second inside a given cylinder so there simply isnt enough time for that to happen, plus the volume of the cylinder compared to the surface area of the piston is sooooo much larger that it wouldnt make a difference anyway

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
ayou are talking about composites right? ive seen lifters where just the contact surfaces are made out of the exotic stuff and the core is just a traditional lifter. assumibly to keep cost and weight down

I was talking about the ceramic.
I saw a show along time ago where someone made a Ceramic engine block that did not need coolant.

With the composites? I have no idea about the cost but heard about the weight. Also that some are oddly more slippery when ground to size.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
ceramic engine block? now that sounds badass! i saw the composite lifters about 10 or 15 years ago on a old show from the discovery channel called "beyond 2000" it was a show about future technology stuff. they said the lifters were so slippery that they didnt require lubrication and they never wore out... ever!

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
F*ck lifters.... get one of these heads for your motor(they don't make them for motors other than theirs, but imagine).....

http://www.coatesengine.com/index.html

product.jpg

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
ceramic engine block? now that sounds badass! i saw the composite lifters about 10 or 15 years ago on a old show from the discovery channel called "beyond 2000" it was a show about future technology stuff. they said the lifters were so slippery that they didnt require lubrication and they never wore out... ever!

:bowrofl: same show i think. They made the engine but never put it on wheels since it was twice to 3 times as heavy as normal

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
this is a perfect question for Justin, the boards smartest man. And some say he is the smartest man in the country. He rarely posts but often lurks. Where are you Justin. He is an engineer with multiple degrees. I will try to see what he says because speculating isn't going to impress the teacher

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info