92 Buick Lesabre intake manifold gasket

Boreas

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
My House
Whoa, hold the phone!

Every upper intake plenum has a gasket. If they dont, coolant WILL leak around the TB area. It doesn't make sense to not have one to begin with because coolant flows between he upper and lower manifolds. Look at the bottom of the upper intake manifold again. It should be a rubber seal going around the perimeter and the coolant holes on the TB side. The gasket is orange in color.

When it came time to replace mine, it had shrunk so bad I had to DIG it out with a xacto knife.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
There are 2 coolant holes with orange O-rings between the upper manifold and lower manifold.

What bothered me was that there is no O-ring for the PCV on the other side and no gasket in general for the upper manifold, other than just sealant. I called the dealer to confirm and indeed they didn't show a gasket there.

Heres the link to the thread I was reading.
http://www.bonnevilleforum.com/t209258/#post556238

I was thinking of making my own gasket though. I have a roll of gasket material, cut it out, and then spray it with some high temp copper RTV. I might have to get slightly taller O-rings for the TB coolant, but at least I'll know it wont leak again.

...or should I just stick with the sealant?

Boreas

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
My House
There are 2 coolant holes with orange O-rings between the upper manifold and lower manifold.

What bothered me was that there is no O-ring for the PCV on the other side and no gasket in general for the upper manifold, other than just sealant. I called the dealer to confirm and indeed they didn't show a gasket there.

I was thinking of making my own gasket though. I have a roll of gasket material, cut it out, and then spray it with some high temp copper RTV. I might have to get slightly taller O-rings for the TB coolant, but at least I'll know it wont leak again.

I didnt realize that thats the way it is, is by chance your UIM plastic or aluminum? If its aluminum then that might explain why it uses sealant instead of a regular gasket.

I think making your own gasket and spraying RTV is a good way to ensure that it wont leak again, but its up to you. If your upper is aluminum then I think sealant should be sufficient, but id always do the safe route.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
so lemmie get this straight. you're working on someone else's car and you're going to cheap out?

:slap:

shut up sOOls, who's to say he is getting anything out of this, and whos to say the owner has alot of money to put into this car?

Honestly, its a 92 LaSabre, its lucky to be still running. If you can spend a few bucks and keep it running for a little while longer its worth it. Why put brand new expensive gaskets?

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
so lemmie get this straight. you're working on someone else's car and you're going to cheap out?

:slap:

I dont understand how you came to that conclusion...:dunno: I'm making a gasket where there was only sealant before. Getting a tube of gasket maker and calling it a day would be cheaping out. I dont want it to leak again, so I'm taking extra steps to make sure it doesnt.

Its aluminum, but I'm probably going to make the gasket anyway, why not right... Thanks.

Last edited:

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
shut up sOOls, who's to say he is getting anything out of this, and whos to say the owner has alot of money to put into this car?

Honestly, its a 92 LaSabre, its lucky to be still running. If you can spend a few bucks and keep it running for a little while longer its worth it. Why put brand new expensive gaskets?

:werd: This car has leaked fluids from every place possible. Oil, coolant, brake fluid, trans oil. Fix one leak find another...it never stops. Doesn't really surprise me anymore though, since apparently GM builds there engines with gasket maker. :roflpicard:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info