Coupe vs. Convertible

mxnboy111

Oct 2, 2006
hey guys my name is luis and im a returning mustang owner. i used to own an 04 GT til i sold it but now i am really considering getting an 03-04 cobra. but here is my deal. i dont know if i should get a coupe or a convertible. yea i know the coupe is more rigid but i really dont plan to drag the car or take it to a course. i just want a fast car for around town that looks badass!!! i am really considering a convertible for cruising around but are there any downfalls? any help appreciated guys... and i hope to join the SVT owners group very very soon!!!

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
If you plan on just riding it in the spring, summer and fall months I'd go with a vert.

Also, I have lived in FL and AZ and wouldn't get a vert down there due to the extreme heat during the summer months, but, Chicagoland temp. wise is very tolerable during the months mentioned above.

My $.02

Good luck and make sure you post some pics of the final decision.

mxnboy111

Oct 2, 2006
I have never really liked convertibles but I don't know why I'm sooo want a cobra convertible..... I was just wondering about the cracks and squeeks that ive heard convertibles have.... Are they really noticeable that I wouldn't be able to stand it???? And mike if KB stands for kenny bell then that wasnt me... I mean it was black but My GT basically had all the bolt on's like SLP full exhaust k&n CAI Accufab tb and plenum... Diablosport tuner... 4.10 gear.. And some exterior accessories... Until some guy in a murano crashed into me and totaled the car... I got a 350Z but really didnt like it... Thats why I wanna get back into the mustang scene

ANIMAL

Did I ever tell you.....
Sep 2, 2006
Mustangs suck, buy a Vette

+ 1/2

Man, I really don't want to be the guy who types this, but here's my honest opinion.

Mustangs don't make the best convertibles, but if you have a wife & kids (4 seats) then just buy a convertible terminator, you'll be fine.
Your not racing, and they IMO have the nicest ride of all mustang convertibles with the most potential for more performance later.

However.....if you can live with only 2 seats, for the same money you can get a corvette converible that was designed from the factory to be topless.
The insurance is the same (maybe less), ride quality & handling is very good, and gas mileage is better for when you want to take it to work or go bumming.

This is just my humble opinion. I'm just trying to help a guy out, so please, nobody shoot the messenger. :D

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
+ 1/2

Man, I really don't want to be the guy who types this, but here's my honest opinion.

Mustangs don't make the best convertibles, but if you have a wife & kids (4 seats) then just buy a convertible terminator, you'll be fine.
Your not racing, and they IMO have the nicest ride of all mustang convertibles with the most potential for more performance later.

However.....if you can live with only 2 seats, for the same money you can get a corvette converible that was designed from the factory to be topless.
The insurance is the same (maybe less), ride quality & handling is very good, and gas mileage is better for when you want to take it to work or go bumming.

This is just my humble opinion. I'm just trying to help a guy out, so please, nobody shoot the messenger. :D

I've got to +1 this man. Nice explaination.

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
I was just wondering about the cracks and squeeks that ive heard convertibles have.... Are they really noticeable that I wouldn't be able to stand it????

I've got an '03 Vert, and I love it. I was a little leary about it at first, just like you, but I have been very pleased.

My car has Kenny Brown extreme matrix sub frame connectors and a Kenny Brown strut tower brace on it, and it's tight as hell. I added a CDC light bar, and that actually stiffened up the car a little as well.

The convertible top is great quality (not sure what kind of material) and it is suprisingly quiet as far as road nice is concerned when the top is up.
I have not had any squeaks or rattles since I bought the car (with 4900 mi).

My only gripes with the car are:
The windows don
t always line up perfectly, but that can be corrected by opening and closing the doors.
The car loves to WHEEL HOP. Vert springs are softer then coupe springs

IMO, juss DO EET! :headbang:

mxnboy111

Oct 2, 2006
thanks blaqsnake.... Thats that little extra push I needed to go through with buying a vert.... Sorry I haven't been posting but I've been busy looking at cobras..... But I think I finally found the one I want.... Its at a carmax dealership in hillside IL.... Test drove it and it was wicked awesome!!!! Have u guys ever dealt with carmax??? Would it be wise dealing with them??

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
I think I finally found the one I want.... Its at a carmax dealership in hillside IL....

Nice lookin car. :headbang:

For a couple more grand, you could pickup a coupe (same color combo) with a 2.2 Kenne Bell on it up at Packey Webb in Downers Grove. :biggthump

FWIW
Had I not bought the anniversary car, I would've probably looked for an '04.
The production numbers were significantly less in 2004.

mxnboy111

Oct 2, 2006
yea cuz i was looking for a stock cobra that i could build myself..... cuz honestly you never know who had the car before and if they did modify it they could of just done a half assed job get me guys??? and thanks blaqsnake for the offer but its cool ive test driven like 4 already and im really liking it!!!! but yea guys im going tomorrow and if i end up buying it then ill post it up here.... with pics any everything.... once i find out how to post pics lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info