Cutting springs??

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Whats everyones opinion on it??
I have Csprings, and dont like the stance anymore with my Cobra R's on it.
If I pick up stock springs, and cut them, what are the pros/cons???
If I dont like it, I'll have my Csprings to put back on.....But I just wanna know what everyone thinks.

I never liked my C springs, I switched from stockers to the C springs looking for a cheap drop and liked them for the price and almost identical spring rate to the stock FORD spring rates. I switched back to my stockers for a while and cut 1 1/2 coils off mine front and 1 1/4 in the rear, stance was a lot better but not as aggresive as I wanted so I kept switching out suspension combo's till I found the H&R's my car rides on now.

Pro's - it's cheap, you'll have OEM spring rating's so the ride won't be horrible, you can sell your C springs, if it's not low enough for you, you can always cut some more off.

Con's - because of the OEM spring rate cutting more than 1 coil off will cause you to bottom out more often (pretty much the case with any drop that low) it's very easy to cut too much ( a pro is you can pick stockers up for cheap anywhere) it can be a royal pain to pull the spring out and put it back in till you find the exact amount of coils your looking to cut off, plan on pulling them 3-5 times each.

I've cut consistant 1.8 60's with a 17" nitto DR with just adjustable shocks (otherwise bone stock suspension) with only 240ish rwhp on both the C springs and cut stockers.

Skrat

You Go. We Go.
Apr 30, 2008
IMG_0803.jpg

So how much should I cut? (This is with C-springs by the way)

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
3/4 coil cut from the rear and 1/2 coil cut from the front will clear that right up. Gave mine a nice stance. Measure it out from the tops. Dremmel tool with a heavy duty fiberglass backed cutting wheel. No torch or heat. Use a hacksaw and die.
Terminator or GT springs? GT springs... follow everyone else. The outcome will be different. This is only for Termie

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
that looks good. I think I'll do that. Are you happy with how it looks in person? I know pictures dont do much justice. Hows the ride quality?

I wasn't happy which is why I switched to H&R super sports a year or so ago I wanted it slammed. The ride with the cut stockers was ok a little bouncy but with adjustable struts and shocks I was able to firm it up a bit without it being too harsh but you could bottom out on parts of 355 at speeds above 75-80mph

This is with H&R's and I love the stance, my struts and shocks are for shit now so the ride isn't all that great even now but I'm not willing to give up the looks.

100_0175.jpg

picsAug18th083.jpg

I might as well spend a couple hundred. What H&R's are those? Thats exactly the stance I want.

Those are Super Sports. I believe they lower the front 1.75" and the rear 1.6". Personally I think the car will be too low for city driving with those springs. You won't be able to make it into the White Castle parking lot! lol You can look into the H&R Sports. They lower 1.6" in front and 1.5" in rear. My car is only lowered 1" with Steeda Sports and I already scraped the chin spoiler coming out of a Walgreen's parking lot, going up a driveway to the carwash, and on some railroad tracks on the southside.

Skrat

You Go. We Go.
Apr 30, 2008
Those are Super Sports. I believe they lower the front 1.75" and the rear 1.6". Personally I think the car will be too low for city driving with those springs. You won't be able to make it into the White Castle parking lot! lol You can look into the H&R Sports. They lower 1.6" in front and 1.5" in rear. My car is only lowered 1" with Steeda Sports and I already scraped the chin spoiler coming out of a Walgreen's parking lot, going up a driveway to the carwash, and on some railroad tracks on the southside.
I'll cut some stock ones first, and go from there. Who needs bumpers and headers?? Let 'em scrape!!

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
my buddy joel cut his springs and at byron, i could hook just fine with my cobra (stock height) and his car wouldn't hook no where near as good and i am 99% sure it was because cut springs. i say don't do it unless all you care is how your car looks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info