re-wiring the entire car. how much?

Racinhobos

Apr 4, 2008
Well, some of you read that I have had my car looked at by a competent mechanic and he has declared the wiring unfit to drive (he doesnt see how the car didn't catch on fire). He said the PO wired in the MSD after market ignition, but never unhooked the OEM ignition, so everything was doubled.

In any case, he says to make the car safe to drive he would have to tear out the entire wiring system and run all new wire.

Does anyone have an idea of what this would cost, I am just wondering, because I have never used this mechanic before but he came HIGHLY recommended by 5+ ppl that he does regular work for them on their 70's hot rods. I just want a base-line to consider when he lets me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

SVTLSC

Factory Freak
Oct 29, 2006
well depending on the route you go i know painless shit isnt cheap but when ging used you need to be careful because of age but depending on which harness (im guessing engine) its prob ably a 6-10 hour job depending on skill and how its done (hack or perfect) if its done right its worth a grand or more in labor. Ive done a few where the customer put too big of a fuse since the 10a blew he put a 35 and fried the shit out of his body harness. I think is bill was a bit over a grand

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
well depending on the route you go i know painless shit isnt cheap but when ging used you need to be careful because of age but depending on which harness (im guessing engine) its prob ably a 6-10 hour job depending on skill and how its done (hack or perfect) if its done right its worth a grand or more in labor. Ive done a few where the customer put too big of a fuse since the 10a blew he put a 35 and fried the shit out of his body harness. I think is bill was a bit over a grand

that was probably a newer car though, he's talkin about an 85 gt with a carb.

Racinhobos

Apr 4, 2008
Also, the PO claimed it was a 95 engine, would that mean I need a 95 wiring harness?

Is the painless system worth the cost?

Is this the harness your talking about?
http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PAI&MfrPartNumber=50001&CategoryCode=3618F

What about this?
http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/?p=vp&id=632

I know it's alot of work, but think it would be possible to do myself and not burn the car to the ground? I learn quickly and follow instructions pretty well (are there instructions online on how to do this?)

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Also, the PO claimed it was a 95 engine, would that mean I need a 95 wiring harness?

Is the painless system worth the cost?

Is this the harness your talking about?
http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PAI&MfrPartNumber=50001&CategoryCode=3618F

What about this?
http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/?p=vp&id=632

I know it's alot of work, but think it would be possible to do myself and not burn the car to the ground? I learn quickly and follow instructions pretty well (are there instructions online on how to do this?)

as long as the 95 is carbed it shouldnt need a 95 harness, unless you wanted to fuel inject it again.

Racinhobos

Apr 4, 2008
it's carbed for sure, and I plan on keeping it carbed for now. Yeah I know most of you think it's not worth it to put the money into it. But I figure I can put the wiring in, or sell the car, and barely be able to afford another mustang, that I would have to pay to re-wire a v8 into. All the mustangs in my price range are 4cyl or they're automatic, that just won't fly, either I would have to pay to put in a V8, or a manual trans, so either way I am putting in stupid amounts of money to get a v8-stick and thats all I really want.

All I wanted was a v8-stick that I could enjoy this summer. I have had FWD autos for too long, enough is enough, I can't afford a nice buttoned up newer pony like I'd like, so I have to resort to foxes, and foxes have problems, they are too expensive, too automatic, or too few cylinders... So I will deal with what I have. If any of you have better advice I'm all ears, Just a college student trying to enjoy life with what means I have.

Racinhobos

Apr 4, 2008
Thing is I really don't trust my ability on the wiring, I understand alot but I never had a wiring class, or even basic electronics in high school. (somehow I got out of it)

Anyway, good news (I think) Heard from the mechanic today, He quoted me to tear out all the wiring from the dash forward, replacing with new wire, getting it to turn key status, AND move the fuel pump to a safer location, for......

:clap::clap::clap:700-800 bucks! :clap::clap::clap:

From the reaction I got earlier in the post I was expecting above 1k for just the engine wiring harness labor, so this sounds like a good deal to me, what do you all think?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info