Odometer Just dashed Lines

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
About the only time I've seen the odometer go blank was if there was a programming problem with the pcm or a major wiring issue between the pcm and cluster. I would check all the wiring between the pcm and speed sensor, and between the pcm and cluster. Especially pay attention to any wires that are a twisted pair (network communication wires, usually shielded with a foil covering).

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
yeah Im gonna replace the trans wiring harness and see if that fixes the speedo problem. it better..:mad:

the cars runs fine when the odo goes blank, i dont think its a programming problem, I just wish there was a definate answer for what this (------) means.....

i swear i have bad luck with this car....

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
if its the cluster why am I geting codes for the trans harness and speed sensor. I'm pretty sure the harness shorted, it is intermittently working.

Hope you are that lucky. My cluster lights were going on and off intermittently (when I had the running lights on) and Ford replaced the whole cluster. I can see where that would make sense with the codes you get, but the odo and speedo thing a would make me suspect the cluster. You should drop the 100 bones and have the dealer diagnose it.

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
Hope you are that lucky. My cluster lights were going on and off intermittently (when I had the running lights on) and Ford replaced the whole cluster. I can see where that would make sense with the codes you get, but the odo and speedo thing a would make me suspect the cluster. You should drop the 100 bones and have the dealer diagnose it.

yeah I have an 03 cobra trans wiring harness, ill try that and if that doesn't work Ill take it to ford. if i need a new cluster maybe ill have em put in a 99-01 cobra cluster or mach 1 cluster. but lets hope i dont have to spend that kind of money......

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
Damn well I thought I was the only one. My GF's GT is doing the same thing. I couldnt figure it out. I'm going to get that speed sensor thought and see what happens. Did you get it from an auto parts store or Ford?

well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I got the sensor from ford for 24. It took me about 3 min to put in. I just wish it would have fixed the problem. I'll be changing the harness Saturday we will see what happens... Fingers crossed. :D

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
figured out that the trans harness is causing the odo to go dashed lines. upon intial start up and drive i get p0721 and after driving 10-15 miles i get 3 codes p0721,p0720 and p0722 that have to do with the trans harness, which causes the odo to go blank. so just to make sure i unhooked the trans harness and cleared the codes and drove around, this time it didnt take 10-15 miles for it to do it it was more like .2 miles for my odo to go dashed lines and i got all the same codes right away/.

so this leads me to beleive that dashed lines means- that there is something wrong with a certain harness, in my case its the trans harness.
:D

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
figured out that the trans harness is causing the odo to go dashed lines. upon intial start up and drive i get p0721 and after driving 10-15 miles i get 3 codes p0721,p0720 and p0722 that have to do with the trans harness, which causes the odo to go blank. so just to make sure i unhooked the trans harness and cleared the codes and drove around, this time it didnt take 10-15 miles for it to do it it was more like .2 miles for my odo to go dashed lines and i got all the same codes right away/.

so this leads me to beleive that dashed lines means- that there is something wrong with a certain harness, in my case its the trans harness.
:D

Sounds like you are on to something!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info