Plates + Insurance = Starter failure?

Racinhobos

Apr 4, 2008
So, I finally got my beauty insured and plated! :D Got out to the parking lot of the License branch and put the plates on. Got in and car won't start:confused:, just some horrible grinding noise, tried jumping the relay that didn't work, checked the starter and it already has a relay on it.?! So I push-started it and got it home. Now I guess I need a new starter:(, but I don't know why it would have a relay on the starter AND the fender.

I need some help, I don't know what kinda starter I need, with a relay, without a relay, I just don't know.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Also I heard that the 95 Cobra had a starter with a built in relay, and the PO claimed this was a 95 cobra motor, is any of that true?!

thanks for the help in advance

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Make sure you check the flywheel too, hopefully the teeth on it are ok and it's just the starter. The part that is on the starter is a solenoid that moves the starter motor gear into the flywheel. The relay on the fender is there so that the ignition switch doesn't supply the power directly to the starter.

Easiest way to do it is pull the starter out, bring it with you to the parts store and they can match it up for you. They can also take yours so you don't need to pay the core charge and then get it credited back later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Racinhobos
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list