Blower kit for a 4.6?

barkingspud

Regular
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Nov 15, 2006
I just took a look at the engine bay. Once the stock airbox is out of the way, I should be able to move the battery over. I'm assuming that the A2W intercooler tank is the aluminum tank on the drivers side right? That won't work on the Explorer as there's too much stuff on that side.

I don't understand the concept of supercharging without some way of cooling the air charge. Is it wise to have a SC system without some sort or intercooling? I figure if I don't have the IC tank, I don't have to worry about where to mount it.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I did a custom Kenne Bell 2.2 install into my 03 4.6 Explorer a few years back. To my knowledge I am the only person to have done a project of this nature on a 4.6 X. You have some options but they will not be just bolt-on and go. You will have to do some custom fabrication and piece some things together.

Your transmission may hold the power and it may not. I am not very familiar with your 6 speed trans in the newest Gen 4 Explorer's. If I were you I would have enough funds set aside so that if you end up needing to convert on over to a beefier trans such as the 4R70W that you will be able to do so. In all likelihood your trans will be able to hold the power provided you keep it reasonable. If you have to swap on over to another auto trans then you will be best served to just run it standalone off its own controller. The trans deal is all in the future though. Focus on the supercharger setup first.

In all honesty a project like this is one hell of allot harder than a typical Mustang blower project. There will be some items that you will probably end up needing to work through that not many other people will be able to help with. If you are willing to pave your own way and have the money to do so then more power to ya. Doing a custom project like this has one hell of allot more reward in the end because of the challenge in making it happen. Best of luck with things.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info