I need lessons on engine timing.

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
10* is base timing.

Turn it clockwise.

Put the light on the first cyclinder and disconnect the spout.

Use white paint to make off 10* 15* 20*

Initial timing is what you put it at ex. 15* on the balancer.

Total timing is when you plug the spout in and the computer takes over

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
10* is base timing.

Turn it clockwise.

Put the light on the first cyclinder and disconnect the spout.

Use white paint to make off 10* 15* 20*

Initial timing is what you put it at ex. 15* on the balancer.

Total timing is when you plug the spout in and the computer takes over
there is a two white marks already there, one is on 0* and the other one is on 10*, where should it be when I first put the light on it and disconnect the spout? at 10* and then go from there to 13-15* right?

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
there is a two white marks already there, one is on 0* and the other one is on 10*, where should it be when I first put the light on it and disconnect the spout? at 10* and then go from there to 13-15* right?

should be on 10* or around 10*. I think 87 octane starts pinging around 14* just dont push it too far unless your using 93. Listen for a pinging noise. When you hear it go just below that.(turn it down to the edge of hearing it and not hearing it.)

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
should be on 10* or around 10*. I think 87 octane starts pinging around 14* just dont push it too far unless your using 93. Listen for a pinging noise. When you hear it go just below that.(turn it down to the edge of hearing it and not hearing it.)
cool, thanks for your help man, Im gonna go do it right now, I put 91 octane on there, I was told by the previous owner that the valve to piston clearance is pretty short because he milled the heads for 54cc chambers so Im guessing I should be pretty conservative with the timing.

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
cool, thanks for your help man, Im gonna go do it right now, I put 91 octane on there, I was told by the previous owner that the valve to piston clearance is pretty short because he milled the heads for 54cc chambers so Im guessing I should be pretty conservative with the timing.

Youre adjusting ignition timing and not valve timing. So I wouldnt worry about piston to valve clearance.... however it will be higher compression, which also leads to pinging. So you wont be able to advance it too far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• IZZy
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list