bumpsteer kits

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
did u guys just install them ur self or did u have some1 else do it. Did a search on svt and they showed how to measure it and make an adjustment. I dont have the special tools to do that.

if u take it to an alignment shop after, they should have these tools. i have to get an alignment after this is done anyway. i will be installin the part myself though.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
if u take it to an alignment shop after, they should have these tools. i have to get an alignment after this is done anyway. i will be installin the part myself though.

Most all alignment shops do NOT have the proper tools to bumpsteer a car. They also have no experience doing it. You have to either do it yourself or bring it to a race shop.

Bump steer not really needed on a street car. It is for entering and exiting a corner so that change in suspension (bump) does not steer the car. Unless you like taking entrance/exit ramps real fast on the highway, I wouldn't worry about bump steer on a DD.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
I installed mine with a tape measure. It is not to hard the only thing is you need to get the measurement with the weight on the tires like it is sitting on the ground.

You do not do it that way.

You have to:

1. car on (4) jackstands - level
2. remove springs/shocks/struts
3. adjust shims and measure
4. repeat 40 thousand times until you get it right
5. repeat 3 & 4 for each corner
6. get it aligned
7. recheck, etc.

See installation instructions on MM web site and expect it to be about a 6+ hour project.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Most all alignment shops do NOT have the proper tools to bumpsteer a car. They also have no experience doing it. You have to either do it yourself or bring it to a race shop.

Bump steer not really needed on a street car. It is for entering and exiting a corner so that change in suspension (bump) does not steer the car. Unless you like taking entrance/exit ramps real fast on the highway, I wouldn't worry about bump steer on a DD.

the shop i take my car to does race car bmw's so they may have the tools to do this. i'll have to ask them.

You do not do it that way.

You have to:

1. car on (4) jackstands - level
2. remove springs/shocks/struts
3. adjust shims and measure
4. repeat 40 thousand times until you get it right
5. repeat 3 & 4 for each corner
6. get it aligned
7. recheck, etc.

See installation instructions on MM web site and expect it to be about a 6+ hour project.

I did mine on the phone with griggs racing. I did not have the shims in mine. Well they were washers and nuts- but i also have a different front end on my car. Full tubular k- with double a-arms. Mine works just fine!

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
No two cars (Or even corners) will be the same. Changes as small as .002 will make a difference. So I don't understand why Griggs was using washers instead of shims. See attached instructions for bumpsteer gauge and tie rod ends to get an idea of what you are getting into to properly bumpsteer a car. I do not believe any alignment shop will do this w/o charging big bucks since it is very time consuming and labor intensive, imo.

Attachments

• MM Bumpsteer.pdf
    252.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Longacre.jpg
    Longacre.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 41
  • MM IRS.pdf
    208.2 KB · Views: 49

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
I would agree it helps some, but not too much change in suspension for a small bump so not much change in steer. On track you generally want to use the full range of suspension on at least one corner, so suspension travel will be near or at maximum somewhere while entering or in a corner. You would not expect that much suspension travel on the street ever, unless you hit a very bad pothole. You should avoid those. So, although I do not think it is need too much on street, I would agree it would be helpful if someone wanted to do it.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Bump steer i have found works well on the street too because your car doesn't jump when it hits bumps in the road either. Say you hit a bump the tire(s) don't jump say right or the steering wheel doesn't get all loose either.

I had the bumpsteer kit on my 02 GT after I lowered it, and I noticed a big difference when going on uneven pavement like bumps. I loved it and I will do it to my cobra when I lower it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info