I need to get my 88 LX running! HELP!

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Allright guys here's my issue, I bought this car in the spring of 06 drove it all of spring and then in the summer took it to Byron and it ran real shitty like it was missing so I limped home and the car is been sitting since then. got it home, checked the fuel preassure gauge and only showed like 10lbs and the car wouldnt start so I figured it was the fuel pump...OK
I ordered a 190lph pump from Holley and proceeded to install, Im pretty sure I did everything right but when I went to fire it up still nothing, when I open the key switch I can hear the pump and I get good preassure but it only lasts a couple of seconds then the preassure drops down
093.gif
the only thing I think it could be is something electrical or I didnt wire the pump right.
So after I tried to do it myself I decide to just take it somewhere and have it done but there isint to many shops in Rockford that I trust with my car, I tried a couple of places but they all seem to blow me off!

Does anybody know what could be wrong here or any suggestions?
anybody know any shops around Rockford to have this fixed?
I would use one of our sponsors but I really dont feel like paying that towing bill from Rockford.
Thanks, sorry for the long rant

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Well.. my fuel issues is taken care of now, I got constant prassure in the system, now the next thing to figure out is setting the valves and the timing.
dont ask me why but my dumbass decided to lossen the rockers and mess with the distributor in the process of figuring out what was wrong in the beginnig but now I have to set the valves and timing, I tried setting the valves according to the book (adjust intake when exhaust opens...yada yada) but when I touch them they still feel loose, who the hell do you do this correctly?

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Well.. my fuel issues is taken care of now, I got constant prassure in the system, now the next thing to figure out is setting the valves and the timing.
dont ask me why but my dumbass decided to lossen the rockers and mess with the distributor in the process of figuring out what was wrong in the beginnig but now I have to set the valves and timing, I tried setting the valves according to the book (adjust intake when exhaust opens...yada yada) but when I touch them they still feel loose, who the hell do you do this correctly?

Sometimes once they are set and your rotate the motor they seem to loosen up. It's because the lifters are not pumped up. Once you start the motor and the lifters are pumped up they will be tight again.

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
The car will be back firing if its 180 out but if you can get a timinng light on it and see where the base is and start marking it off on the balancer you can set the timing...just don't advance it clock wise to far or you'll pull to much timing out and start hearing a pinging sound

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• IZZy
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list