User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Rotzs99's Avatar
All SHOW no GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,684
All SHOW no GO
 
Rotzs99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,684
Casino cash: $4627600
0.95 per day
Default Question to those who have owned a 2v.

My friend wants to gear his 2v GT. Hes thinking of a 3.73, but im trying to get him to step up to the 4.10. Now i know in the 4v the mpg is not effected by a gear change (or minimal) is this the same for the 2v? This is a daily and he drive the car a lot (also is poor college kid)
__________________
Rotzs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
cap42's Avatar
Restoration Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bolingbrook IL
Posts: 1,952
Restoration Hell
 
cap42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bolingbrook IL
Posts: 1,952
Casino cash: $4089000
0.37 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzs99 View Post
My friend wants to gear his 2v GT. Hes thinking of a 3.73, but im trying to get him to step up to the 4.10. Now i know in the 4v the mpg is not effected by a gear change (or minimal) is this the same for the 2v? This is a daily and he drive the car a lot (also is poor college kid)
I've been driving a 4:10 with a Novi 2000 on the street for 2 years, this was my daily driver, gas mileage was about the same, it did drop a small amount on the highway but it was very very minimal.
__________________
1971 Nova - Rust bucket in process of restoration
cap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
-=SVT=-'s Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,194
Gold Member
 
-=SVT=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,194
Casino cash: $4616300
0.45 per day
Default

4:10s would lower his MPG by alittle bit. Its all in how he drives it. 4:10s are fun and cheap hp and acceleration. Moding a v8 of any kind and not wanting to lower the mpg doesnt go together.
__________________


Brian

1993 Ford Ranger(Work Truck) Sold
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
2004 Chevy Caviler(DD)
2005 GTO 6.0
2006 GSX-R 600


My car Domain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2831415
My myspace: http://www.myspace.com/svtbrian
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1344144018

DAVES TRANSMISSIONS
-=SVT=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
drenath's Avatar
Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,115
Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
 
drenath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,115
Casino cash: $4697000
0.22 per day
Default

Don't fear the gear. He should go with a 4.30 if the car is NA.

If he doesn't have the balls to put a 4.10 in the car tell him not to spend any money on his car.

Heck, a girl with an auto I know on another site put in a 3.90 gear and said she should have done the 4.10 at least.
drenath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Rotzs99's Avatar
All SHOW no GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,684
All SHOW no GO
 
Rotzs99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,684
Casino cash: $4627600
0.95 per day
Default

He is new to the mustang market and performance market in general. I think 4.10 would be good, them little 2Vs arent as good in the upper RPMs so 4.30 might be much.
Rotzs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
drenath's Avatar
Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,115
Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
 
drenath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,115
Casino cash: $4697000
0.22 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzs99 View Post
He is new to the mustang market and performance market in general. I think 4.10 would be good, them little 2Vs arent as good in the upper RPMs so 4.30 might be much.
Depends what his goals are for the car. 4.30 vs 4.10 is basically 15rwtq in exchange for 2-5mph. He'd top out 4th around 105 on stock tires. Stock 2v's trap under 100 in the 1/4
drenath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
N20GT's Avatar
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,623
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
N20GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,623
Casino cash: $142585389
9.85 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenath View Post
Depends what his goals are for the car. 4.30 vs 4.10 is basically 15rwtq in exchange for 2-5mph. He'd top out 4th around 105 on stock tires. Stock 2v's trap under 100 in the 1/4
^^ That's affirmative. Full boltons + tire + 4.10 put me trapping at around 5200 rpm's on motor (little room leftover). On spray, i was right at the 6k mark at 1320 feet.
__________________
N20GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

4.10! I've heard that it feels like an extra 40hp. I will be doing 4.10's in May, but I do 95% city driving. If he does a lot of highway, then he will probably see around 23 mpg with 4.10's. On the street mpg shouldn't change much, that is if he can keep his foot off the pedal.
__________________
2003 DSG Mustang GT 5spd
2004 DSG Mach 1 Auto
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20GT View Post
^^ That's affirmative. Full boltons + tire + 4.10 put me trapping at around 5200 rpm's on motor (little room leftover). On spray, i was right at the 6k mark at 1320 feet.
What was your time and mph on all motor? I'm hoping to be in the 12.90's with 4.10's and M/T ET street radials. My best so far with full bolt ons, stock gear, and street tires has been a [email protected] w/ 2.05 60'. Race weight was 3525lbs. The car puts down 266/300.
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
N20GT's Avatar
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,623
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
N20GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,623
Casino cash: $142585389
9.85 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
What was your time and mph on all motor? I'm hoping to be in the 12.90's with 4.10's and M/T ET street radials. My best so far with full bolt ons, stock gear, and street tires has been a [email protected] w/ 2.05 60'. Race weight was 3525lbs. The car puts down 266/300.
I only raced a few times on motor w/ the 4.10 and 26" slicks, never really trying to get the best time out of the car. The gear really only took 2/10ths off my time. It ran 13.5's @ 103 all day on motor. I was going easy on the car these runs (light launch and no powershifting) because the diff had just been rebuilt and it was the cars first time to the track that season. Only other time i ran it on motor at the track was MSC and i dialed in a 13.5 and stayed pretty close to that all day with easy driving. On the 100 shot it ran 12.4's rather consistently powershifting and launching hard. I hit 12.6's with the stock gear and 17 inch BFG DR's (big ass burnout...like huge). And hit a 12.4 (consistent 12.5 no problem) with the slicks and 4.10. I expected the gear to take more time off, but such is life. It sure as hell felt faster driving around town though.
N20GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20GT View Post
I only raced a few times on motor w/ the 4.10 and 26" slicks, never really trying to get the best time out of the car. The gear really only took 2/10ths off my time. It ran 13.5's @ 103 all day on motor. I was going easy on the car these runs (light launch and no powershifting) because the diff had just been rebuilt and it was the cars first time to the track that season. Only other time i ran it on motor at the track was MSC and i dialed in a 13.5 and stayed pretty close to that all day with easy driving. On the 100 shot it ran 12.4's rather consistently powershifting and launching hard. I hit 12.6's with the stock gear and 17 inch BFG DR's (big ass burnout...like huge). And hit a 12.4 (consistent 12.5 no problem) with the slicks and 4.10. I expected the gear to take more time off, but such is life. It sure as hell felt faster driving around town though.
hmm... seems like you should've definitely been at a 13.0 at least on slicks. I'm hoping for .3 from the 4.10's and a 1.75 - 1.8 60' out of the M/T's, which should be good for another .3 - .4. I will never powershift my car. I always do a complete lift, and pull/push the shifter and fast as possible.
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
01Cobra's Avatar
Johnny Cobra
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,588
Johnny Cobra
 
01Cobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,588
Casino cash: $9729700
1.56 per day
Default

I drove a 3.73 01 GT with a 5spd. Minor bolts ons. Very suitable for the car.
__________________
17 Magnetic Fusion Sport [email protected]
16 Shadow Black Edge Sport
01 SVT Cobra VMP TVS 702whp 690wtq
01Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
N20GT's Avatar
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,623
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
N20GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,623
Casino cash: $142585389
9.85 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
hmm... seems like you should've definitely been at a 13.0 at least on slicks. I'm hoping for .3 from the 4.10's and a 1.75 - 1.8 60' out of the M/T's, which should be good for another .3 - .4. I will never powershift my car. I always do a complete lift, and pull/push the shifter and fast as possible.
I TOTALLY disproved the rule of every tenth in the 60' is 2 tenths in the 1/4. I saw an equal gain, tenth in the 60' gave me a tenth in the 1/4 (if that). Raced on a bunch of different tires, stock gear vs. 4.10 gear. I've had every short time from a 1.58 to a 2.1 (thankyou, NITTO) 12.90's seem to be a rather lofty goal. What all have you done since you ran the 13.6? You don't see very many Bolt-on 2v's in the 12's. I have yet to see one, actually. There was no way my car had a 13.0 on it on motor, not even close. Maybe I could have gotten a 13.3 in perfect conditions, but i doubt it. I'm reviewing the vids of it right now and the runs look good, only thing that could have improved them was powershifting. Sorry for the thread Hijack...but i know u don't care JD lol
N20GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
Blood on Blood's Avatar
rumble baby rumble
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36,040
rumble baby rumble
 
Blood on Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36,040
Casino cash: $216751300
6.86 per day
Default

4.10 will feel like a new car....
__________________
Dave
17 Mustang GT
17 Pilot AWD
15 Elantra
Blood on Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20GT View Post
I TOTALLY disproved the rule of every tenth in the 60' is 2 tenths in the 1/4. I saw an equal gain, tenth in the 60' gave me a tenth in the 1/4 (if that). Raced on a bunch of different tires, stock gear vs. 4.10 gear. I've had every short time from a 1.58 to a 2.1 (thankyou, NITTO) 12.90's seem to be a rather lofty goal. What all have you done since you ran the 13.6? You don't see very many Bolt-on 2v's in the 12's. I have yet to see one, actually. There was no way my car had a 13.0 on it on motor, not even close. Maybe I could have gotten a 13.3 in perfect conditions, but i doubt it. I'm reviewing the vids of it right now and the runs look good, only thing that could have improved them was powershifting. Sorry for the thread Hijack...but i know u don't care JD lol
Haven't done anything since the 13.6 (once again, this was on BFG KDW II's with a 2.05 60' launching at 1200 rpms). In May will be doing a built rear with 4.10's, steeda sport springs, bilsteins, and MM lower control arms. The norm for guys with similar mods seems to be a 13.0 - 13.20. One guy from chicagolandmustang (think it was 03geetee) ran a 13.10 with full bolt ons, 4.10's, on 18" chrome roush wheels on a BFG drag radial. Another guy from Wisconsin went 13.50's with full bolt ons, 3.90's, eibach sportlines, on Sumitomos at GLD. I'd be pretty disappointed if I only went .3 quicker with the addition of 4.10's, control arms, and M/T's. I'm pretty sure 13.50's will be possible on street tires going off of idle, and a very low 13 @ ~ 105 mph launching at like 4500 rpms on M/T's.
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
3v2000GT's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,218
 
3v2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,218
Casino cash: $4610000
0.27 per day
Default

i had 4.10's with my 3v, not much of a change in milage and now i have 3.89's in my 9" little better than 410's

i recomend 390s
__________________
-Joe-

2000 GT-Built 3v-
2002 SVT Focus- Stock
2004 CBR600 F4i 4 SALE
3v2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #17
batman's Avatar
Surrounded by 10 points
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 30,195
Surrounded by 10 points
 
batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 30,195
Casino cash: $4751500
5.70 per day
Default

City drivng mpg increases with a gear, and highway goes down.
__________________
90 Mustang Lx Black on Black
04 Acura TL Black on Black

Retired and divorced

Dark Side Racing Est. 2010
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
cap42's Avatar
Restoration Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bolingbrook IL
Posts: 1,952
Restoration Hell
 
cap42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bolingbrook IL
Posts: 1,952
Casino cash: $4089000
0.37 per day
Default

4:10's will allow you to trap between 122-124mph depending on if your using a slick or not and if your running to 6500rpm, 3:73's will allow you to trap between 134-136mph. I'm stepping down to a 3:73 due to hitting the limiter before the traps because of my gearing. On a N/A car and even one to be supercharged in the near future I'd still recommend a 4:10

I ran a 13.00 @ 104 with just a tune, midpipe, spec stage II clutch, flowmaster catback, 4:10 gear with a built rear and minor suspension mods (shocks, FRPP C-springs) and a rear seat delete, think I cut a 1.7x 60" (if I remember right) this was on a slick in cool weather though.
cap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #19
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

4.10's will put him at 112 mph by 6,000 rpms on a 26" tire. Don't know of too many people that are willing to rev to 6500 rpms on a stock motor.
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap42 View Post
I ran a 13.00 @ 104 with just a tune, midpipe, spec stage II clutch, flowmaster catback, 4:10 gear with a built rear and minor suspension mods (shocks, FRPP C-springs) and a rear seat delete, think I cut a 1.7x 60" (if I remember right) this was on a slick in cool weather though.
Exactly! It doesn't take that much to go 13.0 .
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #21
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
I like girls that drink beer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America
Posts: 684
Tim
I like girls that drink beer
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America
Posts: 684
Casino cash: $7046100
0.15 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
4.10's will put him at 112 mph by 6,000 rpms on a 26" tire. Don't know of too many people that are willing to rev to 6500 rpms on a stock motor.

He won't be anywhere near 112mph with a bolt on NA GT. Crossing the traps at 6K is perfect.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergarbage View Post
He won't be anywhere near 112mph with a bolt on NA GT. Crossing the traps at 6K is perfect.
i know! full bolt ons will get him 104-105mph so there will still be some room to grow.
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #23
jfranci3's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 419
 
jfranci3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 419
Casino cash: $4610000
0.08 per day
Default

As the owner of a 2000 GT w/ 3.73s, my gas milage dropped from 22mgh on the highway to about 18-19mpg. Additionally, it slowed my track (real race track, not the 1/4 mile crap) speeds on long straights because I went into 5th too early.

I say either stay 3.27 or go 4.10 for performance. 3.27 for MPG
__________________
00' GT
jfranci3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #24
oohsoobad2's Avatar
oohsoobad2
 
Posts: n/a
oohsoobad2
 
oohsoobad2's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Casino cash: $
0 per day
Default

If your on a budget and need bang for your buck, you cant beat 4.10s and a sticky tire.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #25
blownstang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 430
Casino cash: $4898600
0.09 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
As the owner of a 2000 GT w/ 3.73s, my gas milage dropped from 22mgh on the highway to about 18-19mpg. Additionally, it slowed my track (real race track, not the 1/4 mile crap) speeds on long straights because I went into 5th too early.

I say either stay 3.27 or go 4.10 for performance. 3.27 for MPG
What kind of race track are you talking about? With 3.73's you shouldn't have to go into 5th until you're at around 120mph, and they should help you accelerate quicker. If you're looking to go faster, or for top speed, you need a lower gear like a 3.55 or 3.27 and some horsepower to get the car moving like a Kenne Bell. Gas mileage shouldn't have dropped under 20 mpg on the highway. Never heard of a jump that big. I've heard that with 4.10's you'll be getting around 22 mpg on the highway if you keep it around 70-75 mph. With my 3.27's i get 25 mpg.
blownstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts