Chrysler sebering prob

slackerme

Regular
Jan 16, 2006
I dunno if anyone can help but girlfriend car 2001 Chrysler Sebering 6 Cylinder 2.7

Last month car would get no heat when car was fully warm unless you would rev or drop a gear so the car would run at 3000 rpm.

Now the car has no heat but also it now is over heating

I pulled a plastic piece where top radiator hose goes to block and there was no thermostat. Thats where everyone told me it was and thats were I thought it was. Well it guess its on the bottom of the motor and I have to pull the alternator off and stuff so its going to be a pain in the ass,,, Does it sound like this is the problem. I was thinking the thermostat was stuck open so thats why there was no heat and now I think its stuck close so it is overheating?

What do you guys think.

Thanks for your help

DAN

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
A bad thermostat wouldnt cuase you to lose your heat and overheat constantly, I've had a couple of cars that had bad Thermostats and what one did is the temperature would go up if the car sat at a light for a while and then it would come down to normal again once you got rolling, the other one the temp. would stay on cold all the time.
have you checked your coolant level?
any leaks anywhere?
your coolant must be low for you to lose your heat, if it was a 4cyl car I'd say its the head gasket going because those chrysler motors are notorious for that.
If you dont have any leaks I'd suspect the water pump, just my guess.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
+1 on checking the coolant level. Too little coolant will make the heat blow cold and eventually start to overheat the car.

If the coolant level is OK, you can stop at an auto parts store and look in one of the shop manuals they sell to find where the thermostat is. If she's going to keep the car for a while, buying the manual is a good investment.

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, but was your wife's breeze overheating?

Filler up w/coolant and enjoy your nice warm car :headbang:

No, but the coolent level was fine, and when I replaced the thermostat it started to blow heat again. That was my experience.

Wouldn't the thermostat sticking closed/open show those symptoms he is having?:dunno:

Again....check out sebringclub.net there is a wealth of info regarding the sebring of all gens.

slackerme

Regular
Jan 16, 2006
No coolant in the oil

Well I changed the thermostat today and the car still over heats

So I am thinking it is the water pump now. It dosent over heat while at idle but when you drive it does.

And its weird I had heat for a little then it went away. You have heat if you rev it past 3000 tho still.

There is a small coolant leak but it just mainly hisses and dosent drip much so I wouldnt think that would cause no heat.

Never changing a themostat in chrysler again. it took me all day and the sad part is there was not to many bolt they just were all in tight places and you couldnt see them

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
No coolant in the oil

Well I changed the thermostat today and the car still over heats

So I am thinking it is the water pump now. It dosent over heat while at idle but when you drive it does.

And its weird I had heat for a little then it went away. You have heat if you rev it past 3000 tho still.

There is a small coolant leak but it just mainly hisses and dosent drip much so I wouldnt think that would cause no heat.

Never changing a themostat in chrysler again. it took me all day and the sad part is there was not to many bolt they just were all in tight places and you couldnt see them
Based on this I would recommend you change the water pump, if for some reason it turned out to be something else a new water pump is in the car's near future anyway.
If the car has no leaks, the thermo. is good than your only two scenarios left are the water pump or a head gasket.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info