Does anyone know??

MustangAmber

No, its not my man's car!
Jan 11, 2007
I have a 06 Mustang GT that is my daily driver. The owners manual says that if the temps fall below like 10 degrees that im to plug in the engine block warmer. Well I finally found the plug on my car, but I need to know if it matters what kind of extention cord to use? Being that it is going to get really cold soon I think im gonna have to plug it in. Last year I didnt do it and I had to get my car pulled apart. Does anyone know if it matters what kind of cord I use?

Haze28

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
I call BS too. My car has survived 2 winters of being parked outside and cold started on a daily basis with no problems at all. I wouldn't worry about it. Just let your car warm up for a couple minutes and don't drive it hard till it gets to normal operating temps.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Test your anti freeze to make sure it is good to at least -20. Weak anti freeze can freeze inside the motor and cause problems.

Any decent quality outdoor extension cord should be fine for your engine heater. Don't buy the cheapest cord you see. Spend a few dollars more and get a good outdoor cord and you won't have to worry.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Only in really cold locations are those block heaters really necessary. It does get pretty cold here sometimes, but not that cold. I have never ran a block heater in any of my vehicles up here. Now if I lived in Canada I probably would.

It is too bad that the Ford mechanic pulled a fast one by trying to say that the lack of running the block heat caused a transmission problem; let alone the one he mentioned. Just terrible when BS claims of blame are thrown around like that. I suppose you can at least chalk it up to a good learning experience.

MustangAmber

Jan 11, 2007
Only in really cold locations are those block heaters really necessary. It does get pretty cold here sometimes, but not that cold. I have never ran a block heater in any of my vehicles up here. Now if I lived in Canada I probably would.

It is too bad that the Ford mechanic pulled a fast one by trying to say that the lack of running the block heat caused a transmission problem; let alone the one he mentioned. Just terrible when BS claims of blame are thrown around like that. I suppose you can at least chalk it up to a good learning experience.

Well it was warrenty work, so it didnt cost me anything. I just think it sucks that they tried to blame it on me.

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Dealers are like that, they try to blame the customer for screwing the car up when it wasn't your fault. That trans leak was a known issue, there's a few service bulletins on the auto trans for leaks in the 05+ cars.

I had a block heater in my Ranger and it helped on the really cold nights. I used a good quality outdoor use cord that was lighted at one end so I could see that it had power. The truck always fired right over and warmed up faster when I plugged it in.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Well it was warrenty work, so it didnt cost me anything. I just think it sucks that they tried to blame it on me.

I look more at the principle behind things in that circumstance rather than if you had to pay or not. But like the fella below said, that is how dealers are. They also really like to go hog wild on aftermarket mods until you explain to them how some of the things they are claiming is impossible. Very few dealers that I have encountered were honest like that.

MustangAmber

Jan 11, 2007
just make sure your runnin oem spec 5w20 in that weather, as when its that cold the thinner oil is better, in normal conditions I would definitely run 5w30 though

Well I have a oil change comming up in like 30 miles, but im moving away from this crazy ass weather and my car is about to be put in storage for two years so I wont be dealing with this shit any more! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info