Clutch always engaged? (95 SHO taurus)

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
My motorswap/clutch is coming up very soon and i wanna know what i am getting myself into.

The previous owner has been through 3 clutches in a year. It was perfectly fine when i owned it 2 years ago

Right now the clutch is permanately engaged. The only way to drive it is to start it in gear (starter starts to push the car forward). The only way to shift is to turn the car off, shift, then start the car again. When i push in the clutch pedal, nothing happens. Kinda hard to tell if its the normal feel since im used to my stage 4 in my cobalt :( My driveway has an incline. With the car off and in gear, its nearly impossible to shift since the synchros do not wanna let me out since the clutch is engaged.

This is a cable clutch

Only thing we notice is the clutch cable physically moves. What are the possible causes?

I am trying to get ahold of the previous owner to find out, how long AFTER the new clutch(s) were installed, when they failed.

Any questions please ask, need to figure this out.

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My motorswap/clutch is coming up very soon and i wanna know what i am getting myself into.

The previous owner has been through 3 clutches in a year. It was perfectly fine when i owned it 2 years ago

Right now the clutch is permanately engaged. The only way to drive it is to start it in gear (starter starts to push the car forward). The only way to shift is to turn the car off, shift, then start the car again. When i push in the clutch pedal, nothing happens. Kinda hard to tell if its the normal feel since im used to my stage 4 in my cobalt :( My driveway has an incline. With the car off and in gear, its nearly impossible to shift since the synchros do not wanna let me out since the clutch is engaged.

This is a cable clutch

Only thing we notice is the clutch cable physically moves. What are the possible causes?

I am trying to get ahold of the previous owner to find out, how long AFTER the new clutch(s) were installed, when they failed.

Any questions please ask, need to figure this out.

Are you familiar with how to drive it Clutchlessly? I taught Paul how to do it on my civic, I'm sure he could probably do the same on the SHO if you need to bring it somewhere. (Or I could as well if need be)

I have to agree with other members that its quite possibly 'stretched' or damaged, especially with the previous owner being as idiotic of a driver as he was.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
First thing would be to definitely make sure the clutch cable is 100%. If it's nothing external it must be something inside and you'll have to drop the tranny. It's possible that the TO bearing is out or the clutch is a goner, one of the springs on the clutch could've popped out and is holding it engaged, seen it happen with aftermarket clutches

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
yup sounds like the cable to me too. Tho never seen one before. When the clutch was replaced was the throw out bearing also replaced?
If it is the Cable then maybe get an extended fork to have less stress on the cable.

If he gets an extended fork, then the clutch won't disengage anyway. The clutch pedal is going through its entire range of movement anyway.

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
this would cause it to run okay for X amount of months with a new clutch, then fail again?

maybe, if you push the clutch pedal 100% but the pressure plate only releases 60% its going to still be engaging all the time. so sitting at a light with the clutch in and in 1st gear, the clutch is still somewhat engaged. probably got pretty hot after awhile, maybe the reason it failed?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info