DD '92 corolla pos help

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
Ok, so I tried some toyota forums(worthless) and I've talked with a few friends and tried to think and I'm just totally stumped
so its a '92 corolla with the 4afe and a 5 speed, 181k miles
so this hunk of shit has been running fantastic since I bought it, did a tune up and some other maintenance, and have put 7k miles on it,
so heading back to my apartment one night on the highway doing about 75-80 the car drove fine, get off the highway and pull up to a stoplight and the car starts to idle very rough, accelerate away from light and it just feels like its misfiring consistently, but when holding a speed it will fire normally, until you give it more throttle when it starts to miss again.
so silly me just assumes certain things must be wrong, since I asked previous owner when timing belt was last changed and he asked whats a timing belt, I assumed it must have skipped a notch and be on its way out.
go home and pull off inspection plate to realize the belt looks to be in horrible condition, start ripping shit apart and the belt snapped when i put some pressure on it :eek:h: (you could say it was perfect timing for this to happen)
so continue changing it and replace it
it was my first timing belt job and dumb me doesnt check timing with the light after i somewhat guesstimate where it shud be. drive it around and it drives the same, then check it with the light and realize its off, move it over a notch and check again and it lines up spot on with the timing light, so I go to drive it and its slightly better, but still drives like crap.
Then I changed the fuel filter which I found out was ORIGINAL :eek::eek:
this made no difference whatsoever
recently was has been replaced that are engine related
plug wires,
plugs,
valve cover gasket,
fuel filter,
timing belt,
water pump,
fluids,
battery

I noticed yesterday though, the car drives absolutely perfect for about the first minute after startup, and as it warms up it starts driving worse and worse until it finally just starts driving atrociously. it idles extremely high upon start, just under 2k rpms.
So I'm really just stumped at this point and really don't know what could be causing it. This thing with it running great until it warms up has thrown out the idea of the cam timing being off still, and I'm just really lost now.
maybe it's a MAP sensor, IAT sensor, Ignition coil, Bad distributor, I'm just really lost and don't want to start throwing tons of money at this pos cause at that point I'd rather just drive it til it finally blows and junk it.
Also, my buddy did a compression test and it was solid across all 4, so HG is not the problem.
Also, this motor is non-interference so bent valves from the timing being off is damn near impossible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• F
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list