Winter Storage and Coolant

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
I've recently parked my 00GT in a friend's unheated garage for the winter and realized that the coolant might not be up to snuff seeing how it was a southern car its whole life until this past spring when I brought it back from North Carolina. The previous owner wanted the car to run cool so he used (2) bottles of water wetter and and unknown coolant/h20 mix (I emailed him for the exact %). Today I tested the coolant and the hygrometer indicated the range of +10 to -7 and we all know it gets much colder than that here. The coolant today was cold but not frozen. I just read on modfords that the temp of the coolant effects its density/freeze point reading. Would testing cold coolant cause the hygro to read a higher freeze point than if it were warm coolant? Should I hook up the battery, fire it up to warm the coolant a bit and recheck w/the hygro or remove about a gallon of coolant and replace with G05 (no water) then fire it up to circ the new mix and call it a day?

thx
Nick

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
I would just flush and fill it since you are unsure of it's condition. That way you have peace of mind that it is proper and fresh.

Solid advice, but the original owner just emailed me saying it's 30:70 coolant to water with 1 bottle of water wetter. I think I'm going to pull out about 2 quarts and replace with straight ford G-05. That should bring me to damn near 50-50 mix.

tx aron

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 01GTvert
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list