Cleaning Car Help....

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
I decided to clean the underside of the GTO the past couple days. I CANNOT get this shit off.

I've tried:
-Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
-Simple Green
-Carb And Choke clean.....I wiped it off with a dry cloth, then went over it again with a clean cloth and quick detail.
-Clay Bar

It's on both sides that run along underneath the doors. :dunno:

Dirty.jpg

Dirty2.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Do you know what it is? It must be something tough to remove if Simple Green and a clay bar didn't work. You could try some Goo Gone or, strange as it sounds, gasoline. I've been on graffiti removal jobs where we were reduced to using either Goo Gone or gasoline because nothing else touched the stuff we were trying to remove. Paint remover is also an option if it is paint but you may damage the undercarriage or remove the undercoating with paint remover. Whatever you try, test it in an out of the way, hidden area first.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
looks almost like paint. does it come off if u scratch it with ur nail? :dunno:

No it doesn't. It's like when gum gets hard or something. Idk how to explain it.

okay, maybe not

i've had luck with denatured alcohol before, but lay down a fresh coat of wax afterwords.....

Since it's on the bottom of the car, maybe a few times around with a rubbing compound?

lol. If it would scratch it I'd rather just have it the way it is.

Do you know what it is? It must be something tough to remove if Simple Green and a clay bar didn't work. You could try some Goo Gone or, strange as it sounds, gasoline. I've been on graffiti removal jobs where we were reduced to using either Goo Gone or gasoline because nothing else touched the stuff we were trying to remove. Paint remover is also an option if it is paint but you may damage the undercarriage or remove the undercoating with paint remover. Whatever you try, test it in an out of the way, hidden area first.

Oh shit! I never thought of goo gone. That sounds like a good idea. Nor did I think about gasoline. I thought forsure the Carb Choke cleaner would get that outta there. I'll pick some up.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
come show me. thanks:cool2:

Ummmm no....Took me 7 days to wet sand/buff/glaze/ice glaze/wax my car...

Get some 3000 grit sand paper, wet it, wet the paint, and start sanding, make sure you don't sand too much or you'll go thur the clear coat, that should take that crap off. Then get out the old dewalt buffer, hit it with some compound at about 3,000 RPM...Again making sure you don't go thur the clear cost, then top is off with some glaze on a foam pad, again at 3,000 rpm....5 hours later you'll be done...

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Ummmm no....Took me 7 days to wet sand/buff/glaze/ice glaze/wax my car...

Get some 3000 grit sand paper, wet it, wet the paint, and start sanding, make sure you don't sand too much or you'll go thur the clear coat, that should take that crap off. Then get out the old dewalt buffer, hit it with some compound at about 3,000 RPM...Again making sure you don't go thur the clear cost, then top is off with some glaze on a foam pad, again at 3,000 rpm....5 hours later you'll be done...

this would be a pain in the ass to do layin on u back! i'd use this as ur last resort.

adamzx3

May 24, 2007
If you did not try gasoline yet give it a try, just make sure to wash it down afterwards and put some kind of wax or glaze over it. Looks like the rubberized paint they use when paiting marks on the road. Had a car at work once that was covered with that, the whole car! took like a full day of work to get it of and waxing the car afterward.

slow4.6

TCG Elite Member
Mar 20, 2006
go to the auto motive paint store, or a close body shop and get some wax and grease remover it will get it off. they might also call it prep sol.

i get cars like that in the shop all the time

you do not want to wet sand and buff the bottom of your car. manufactures do not put much clear coat on lower panels. if you burn threw and dont see it it will rust later on.

suzukiracer1604

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2006
is that some gray shit on the car, almost like cement? I get that every once in a while on my car, usually comes off if u just pick it very lightly with your finger nail, but thats alot of it. Try WD-40, if that doesnt work, the only other thing i could recomend trying that will most likely work, is to use distilled white vinegar, soak it on a rag or sponge, and blot it on the spots, it should loosen it up and just wash it off with water, dont rub it with the rag or spong cause it might scratch the paint.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
go to the auto motive paint store, or a close body shop and get some wax and grease remover it will get it off. they might also call it prep sol.

you do not want to wet sand and buff the bottom of your car. manufactures do not put much clear coat on lower panels. if you burn threw and dont see it it will rust later on.

Side skirts are plastic guy....

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005

Body prep FTW.

I also would highly recommend NOT wet sanding it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info