Need Aluminum Heads Welded.....Suggestions?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I've had the aluminum M & A heads from my Grand National in the garage for years and want to sell them. Through my own negligence they each got a slight crack in the water jacket and need to be welded. I believe the repair to be relatively minor, but I still want somebody experienced (and recommended) to perform the work.

These are ported heads that were $2,300 new (unported) and I want them done correctly.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this type of work?

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
It is mail order, but I saw some breath taking combustion chamber restoration work from cylinderheads.com

A V8 SHO lost a cam - THERE'S a "big" surprise - and busted 3 valve heads off inside a running motor. The head was TRASHED. These guys put it back together, including new seats and guides, to the point where you had to look CLOSE to even see where they welded it before machining.

I would not hesitate to send the worst aluminum head "basket case" to them and trust it to come back perfect.

Your head trouble looks like a walk in the park for these guys.

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
I've had the aluminum M & A heads from my Grand National in the garage for years and want to sell them. Through my own negligence they each got a slight crack in the water jacket and need to be welded. I believe the repair to be relatively minor, but I still want somebody experienced (and recommended) to perform the work.

These are ported heads that were $2,300 new (unported) and I want them done correctly.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this type of work?

I can weld that crack for you & no problem ... Nile

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
Dude,
No disrepect to SSCHassis, but welding on cylinder heads isn't like putting on a set of subframe connectors. Don't hand them over to just anybody with a TIG welder...especially if they're valuable. There used to be a guy in Addison, Lightning Cylinder Heads who was not only local but downright affordable and decent, but I don't think he's in business anymore. If it was me, I'd send them to Indy Cylinder Head in Indianapolis. They'll fix it right the first time.
P.S. I may be wrong but I don't think Ted at Opel welds them himself...I think he farms them out.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Dude,
No disrepect to SSCHassis, but welding on cylinder heads isn't like putting on a set of subframe connectors. Don't hand them over to just anybody with a TIG welder...especially if they're valuable. There used to be a guy in Addison, Lightning Cylinder Heads who was not only local but downright affordable and decent, but I don't think he's in business anymore. If it was me, I'd send them to Indy Cylinder Head in Indianapolis. They'll fix it right the first time.
P.S. I may be wrong but I don't think Ted at Opel welds them himself...I think he farms them out.

+100000

cylinder heads require to be heated to about 400-500 degrees prior to welding on them... then, most of the time you need to mill them afterwards.. there was a guy down south that use to weld for Hi-flow... the guys name was Lucky or something.. he repaired a set of heads for me about 10yrs ago.

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
Dude,

Sorry to say you dont have any I deal what I do in my shop you thing when I offered to weld the head it was 1st time welding aluminum … please I know the presses of welding aluminum heads or any aluminum plus stainless & titanium…. just for your information I been racing since 1977 & building race cars for over 30 years & I been in business for over 25 … come on guy so you thing I only install sub frames that wasn’t cool ... plus I have 69 mustang want low 8s 4 years ago it was build in mid 80s with today technology plus 7s cars for pass 15 years…..plus I upgrade race cars to be certified for 6s …. I build 1st 8s 10” tire at that time for Craig pie at ASSC 1990 to compete in MR GASCKET shot out in early 90s Than was driven by Steve graybick also … he died few years ago & plus I have mustang dyno 2000HP with eddy currant please don’t under estimate me …. Thanks Nile

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
+100000

cylinder heads require to be heated to about 400-500 degrees prior to welding on them... then, most of the time you need to mill them afterwards.. there was a guy down south that use to weld for Hi-flow... the guys name was Lucky or something.. he repaired a set of heads for me about 10yrs ago.

I know Mike at hi flow back than when he was working in his mother basement

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
Sorry to say you dont have any I deal what I do in my shop you thing when I offered to weld the head it was 1st time welding aluminum … please I know the presses of welding aluminum heads or any aluminum plus stainless & titanium…. just for your information I been racing since 1977 & building race cars for over 30 years & I been in business for over 25 … come on guy so you thing I only install sub frames that wasn’t cool ... plus I have 69 mustang want low 8s 4 years ago it was build in mid 80s with today technology plus 7s cars for pass 15 years…..plus I upgrade race cars to be certified for 6s …. I build 1st 8s 10” tire at that time for Craig pie at ASSC 1990 to compete in MR GASCKET shot out in early 90s Than was driven by Steve graybick also … he died few years ago & plus I have mustang dyno 2000HP with eddy currant please don’t under estimate me …. Thanks Nile

I prefaced my reply with "No disrepect to SSCHassis"... That means, this is not intended to offend you, or directed in a derogatory way at you....Get it? I was just pointing out to the guy to be careful with a set of valuable heads because there is more to fixing it than firing up the welder. There are a lot of knuckleheads on these sites giving anyone who will listen their opinion when they don't know the first thing about anything, and the less experienced guys might just listen to them and wind up with more trouble than they started with. It sounds like you are not one of them so you should not have been offended, and from your response, should be old enough to realize that. I run an 8 second car and build fast ones too so,like you, I feel I know what I'm talking about when I post up and I'm just trying to help the younger guys. One more thing, Mister-cutesy-add-fuel-to-the-fire-box-of popcorn-icon- RDSnake guy is probably one of those guys not to listen to. That's what I hate most about these sites, there's more of that high school shit with all the little funny pictures going back and forth instead of real car knowledge being shared.

'Nuf Said

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
thats wonderful..

i wouldnt let mike port my neighbors lawnmower heads... i was just pointing out that i used a guy that he uses...

My buddy with a Marauder got sweet talked by Mike and let him 'port' a set of 4v heads.
Mike claimed he'd pick up 80 hp.

Yea right, they looked like garbage and I could have done better with a Dremel.

The car didnt make any more power, BTW.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Mister-cutesy-add-fuel-to-the-fire-box-of popcorn-icon- RDSnake guy is probably one of those guys not to listen to. That's what I hate most about these sites, there's more of that high school shit with all the little funny pictures going back and forth instead of real car knowledge being shared.

'Nuf Said

i think kevin (rdsnake) knows his stuff. he has shared A TON of tech info and has done some right ups on how to install certain items. he has done most if not all the work on his cobra. u calling him out is just as "high school" because u are judging him off a little picture and making false accusations.

im not "calling" you out here, just defending a false accusation made to a friend of mine.

back to your scheduled programing

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
One more thing, Mister-cutesy-add-fuel-to-the-fire-box-of popcorn-icon- RDSnake guy is probably one of those guys not to listen to. That's what I hate most about these sites, there's more of that high school shit with all the little funny pictures going back and forth instead of real car knowledge being shared.

'Nuf Said

:eek2::eek2::eek2::wtf::wtf:

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Larry, I took my heads to Custom Engine Services in Aurora. Tim Schomer seems to be a pretty good guy and knows what he's doing.

Of course, all he did was freshen them up for me, no port work or anything, but he's kinda close to home and is knowledgeable.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
+1 Kevin knows is shit.

plus he's not a raging douchebag like others posting in this thread. holy crap.

here's a tip: have cylinder heads repaired by people who repair cylinder heads as part of their business, not just any schmoe with access to a TIG.

Motorkraft has forgotten more about building and repairing irreplaceable engines than any three of us here put together ever learned in the first place.

Turbo Buick v6 was used in Indy Cars for a time, wasn't it? These guys, among other things, restore and rebuild Indy Cars.

and Kevin DOES know his ass from a hole in the ground, thankyouverymuch...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info