cam install questions

GerRrg281

FORD POWER!
Sep 25, 2006
when i fill the cylinder up with air, will the piston push to BDC?? do i need to move the piston to TDC (exactly TDC!!! which could be a pain)

and with the timing chain tensioners....i read an article that they are spring loaded, or something like that....and you need to stick a paper clip in them to keep them retracted....whats the deal?

also, when removing the timing tensioners, is there a special way to relieve the pressure other than just un-bolting it?

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
How bout I just come over and do them for ya for a case of beer or somethin if you dont live to far. Once you see it done in person you'll be like wtf? Thats it... LMK

Unless your planning on degreeing your cams. I've never done that. :dunno:

As far as exactly TDC or BDC no. On the crank srocket theres a line it should be pointing face down. Its easier to explain in person but its really really really easy.

Timing tensioners just unbolt them. Nothing more needed to relieve pressure. Then compress them in a vice and at a certain point you can stick a paper clip in to hold them down to re-install. I suggest ditching the stock chain tensioners though and getting the plastic 05' and up GT tensionsers. There way nicer and quieter

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
Exactly what he said, I did the same thing. I actually didnt even use air at all. I rotated the motor and used a long screw driver in the spark plug hole to determine TDC on the cylinder I was working on at the moment for the spring install. When done I just repeated the process for each cylinder.

For the tensioners I never pushed them in at all! I wanted them to be as full of oil as possible at start up so the chains didnt skip a link. Just start the top bolt first, then with some help push the tensioner against the chain guide and hold the it there while you thread in the bottom bolt. Sounds alot more difficult then it actually is, its cake!

Good luck post if you have more questions!

JTR

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list