i hate when info like this is shared by the media...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
There's a difference between recommending and requiring premium.

Yea, thats kinda what I was trying to get it.

My SHO said "Recommended" and it really meant that it was JUST recommended, not required. It ran fine on Regular, but didn't have as much power (as to where you did notice it), and usually got about the same MPG

but I can't imagine feeding something like a Terminator 87 Oct...

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i feel if you bought a car that uses higher octane fuel; be it high compression or FI then just dig a little deeper and buy premium. knock is knock. its not good. would you wanna walk with crutches your whole life? sure you can move around day to day but its not ideal.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i feel if you bought a car that uses higher octane fuel; be it high compression or FI then just dig a little deeper and buy premium. knock is knock. its not good. would you wanna walk with crutches your whole life? sure you can move around day to day but its not ideal.

Realistically, if you are buying a car made in the past 2 decades that requires premium, you can probably afford premium gas, or you'd be smart enough to not buy that car...

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
premium isn't even that much more expensive right now. The average price is $.22 more for premium. Or $3.3 per fill up if your tank is 15 gallons. It's a perception thing that premium has always been way more expensive.

I would always follow the automaker's recommendation regardless.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i hate the "but it takes premium" argument. is 20 cents a gallon really that big of a difference? $3.95 87 octane vs. $4.19 for 93

with gas being as expensive as it is, Its 100% irrelevant.

back when it was like $2, maybe even $3, it could have been a point, but now, % wise, Its nearly nothing.

It cost $50 to fill the tank in my focus @ 3.83 a gallon ( 13.05 gallons of a 15 gallon tank)

So it'd cost $2.60 more if it was premium, or about 5% more...

Back when gas was 2.49 a gallon 13 gallons would have been $33.80, and it'd still cost 2.60 more if it was premium, so it'd be 7.6%, etc, etc.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I like this part::

“There generally isn’t any harm done to the engine by using lower-octane fuel,” said a BMW spokesman, Thomas Plucinsky. “Because our engines do have very good forms of knock sensing and are able to deal with lower-octane fuels, you will not have any drivability issues. You will, however, lose some of the performance.”

"Generally" and "Able to deal with" aren't exactly BMW saying "Yea, go ahead, Throw Regular in the car, its fine!"

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Some cars Do say "Premium Recommended" Others say "Required" or some shit like that IIRC?

Regardless, IMO its common understanding that cars tuned for Premium, Knock sensor or not, Get their best MPG and power out of regular fuel.

:roflpicard:

Cars get their best MPG running just enough octane that it needs. My old GT ran KR free with 89, however, everyone said 93 was the best since it had a reprogrammed PCM. I ran 89. Saw better times and more MPG. 87 my MPG got worse and the car started to knock.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Lots of ignition advance promotes fuel mileage, so if the knock sensing programming is pulling timing to eliminate knock, it's also reducing mileage, negating any savings by using cheaper gas.

Use the fuel recommended. It will give the best performance and mileage.

I didnt even see this comment, but I will X2 it. I upped the idle and cruise timing in my car to the point just before it knocks and saw a decent little jump in MPG.

I also finally decided to read the article. Yes, knock sensors can help your car fight knock. However, IMO, you dont want to rely on them to drive day to day just because you are a broke ass chump.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I haven't put any less than 93 Octane in my 40th since I got it a little over two weeks ago... I want better performance and I feel that it gets better mpg as well... Still awaiting some extra money to buy a K&N Drop in for even better mpg...

eh....much better filters out there than K&N. if you truly care for your car you'll use something like an aem dryflow or amsoil dryflow. hell paper is better.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
eh....much better filters out there than K&N. if you truly care for your car you'll use something like an aem dryflow or amsoil dryflow. hell paper is better.

I wouldnt say paper is better then K&N, but Id agree that a dryflow is better. I have a cheep Spectre filter from autozone just for the simple fact that it was the only one I could find on such a short notice that would fit my intake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info