Bad Idea-LED headlights?

Ok I was just thinking about this the other day...LEDs can be pretty f'n bright...is there any company out there that makes LED headlights/bulbs? Would it be possible to have led headlights? I tried searching around the net a bit and only found foglights and taillights. I would do anything to have some better lighting on my WRX.(the stock stuff is so dim I may as well have a flashlight strapped to the hood:picard:)

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
early 2000's infiniti Q45's had an array of 7 LED's in each headlamp... worked really well but it was quite expensive

43.jpg

i also remember from school there was an idea being tossed around about using a single LED light inside the car and routing it to each headlight using fiber optics.

Last edited:

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
early 2000's infiniti Q45's had an array of 7 LED's in each headlamp... worked really well but it was quite expensive

43.jpg

i also remember from school there was an idea being tossed around about using a single LED light inside the car and routing it to each headlight using fiber optics.

Those arent LED's, thats actually 7 little projectors (the all aim to one focal point) with one HID bulb. Ive seen people retrofit that Gatlin Gun look-a-like into other cars. Cool, but the light out put is no better than a few other OEM projectors.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Those arent LED's, thats actually 7 little projectors (the all aim to one focal point) with one HID bulb. Ive seen people retrofit that Gatlin Gun look-a-like into other cars. Cool, but the light out put is no better than a few other OEM projectors.

really? ive always heard that they were LED's and i thought they made a big stink about it back in the day, thats why i remembered it. either way, those new Caddy headlights are tits!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
except for the fact that LED's dont produce heat....

that is actually a myth unless using infrared

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/features/2/5/8

The energy consumed by a 100-watt GLS incandescent bulb produces around 12% heat, 83% IR and only 5% visible light. In contrast, a typical LED might produce15% visible light and 85% heat.

Especially with high-power LEDs, it is essential to remove this heat through efficient thermal management. Without good heat sinking, the internal (junction) temperature of the LED rises, and this causes the LED characteristics to change.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I find it incredibly hard to believe that an LED could cause such high heat considering it is hardly a load and draws VERY small amounts of amperage. I have also never heard of an LED being hot. That doesn't really mean anything though. There are lots of things I don't know.

what about police LED lights... those go really far!

That's kinda why I got the idea. I have a blue light(firefighter) and it's one hella bright LED light. I didn't know if it had been done, I was checking if it was possible. We have a command vehicle that has a large LED lightbar and that thing puts out a shit ton of light...I should just strap some huge spotlights to the front of the WRX rally style:rollpicard:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I made some out of a 10 watt l.e.d. with lexus projector fog lights. They looked pretty cool but even with 10 watts they just weren't bright enough. Whats this heat thing all about?? I have touched plenty of high power l.e.d.'s with my fingers and yes they were warm, have you ever touched a halogen light??? That is hot, an l.e.d. is considerably cooler than that hands down, thus making them NOT hot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info