Help diagnose steering wheel shake

Here's the deal-
My gf just bought an 06 Pontiac G6 sedan and the steering wheel vibrates/shakes. This happens when you are going any speed >45 and apply the brakes. It doesn't vibrate at slower speeds when you go to stop, only higher speeds. This isn't a small vibration either, it jerks the steering wheel pretty roughly. I kinda think it might be warped rotors? The car has ~20K miles on it...could it be tires need to be balanced? It seems odd that it doesn't always do it, and it doesn't seem to make a difference from being cold or hot. She is somewhat freaking out about it b/c it's her first "new" car and it already has this small problem. I don't think it's something to get too upset about, but I want her to be safe too. I know there are alot of Pontiac owners here, anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys for the quick responces. Is there anyway that I can visually/physically use to figure out if they are warped at home or is it better to just take it to a shop to have them check them? I've done my fair share of brake jobs, but never fussed with figureing out if they needed to be changed(most of the time they were sqeaking b/c they were hitting the little low pad warning thingie)

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
yea i dont know why i said that, mixed up not being able to feel it below 35 with above..dont ask me how.

our shop rarely turns rotors just because our machine is broken right now. we have to outsource to lee auto. and by that time what we have to pay them ends up being around the same cost as just ordering up some napa premiums which are to oem standards if not better. only thing we turn is usually large rotors or drums that arent readily available within a few hours or just too expensive.

Well replaced the front pads/rotors. The shake is definetly gone now. Randomly however it squels for like 1/2 second. I am guessing it's more or less just the pads "seating" on the rotors. Now at low speed there is this sound coming from the right rear end that sounds like the tire is rubbing on something. It's not, and gsteffens and myself checked it out and it seems to be ok...unless the tire is off balance? Overall pretty happy took less than 45 mins and the big problem is solved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info