In-dash CD changer took a crap...is it done-zo?

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Yep, went to load a couple of new CDs last night, and I hear the thing start clicking inside, sure enough, "CD Error" appears and I can't get anything out, and can't get anything to play. Is this thing chicken done done or what?

Original warranty runs out 2 months ago . . . last month, the backlight for the climate controls goes out . . . this month now the CD changer takes a crap. Typical. I'm buying a Dodge next, at least I expect those things to fall apart.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I see them for sale all the time in the SVTP market forum.

You can get a superior aftermarket head unit for about $250, wiring in the factory amps is kind of tricky though.

There are adapter harnesses available now so it's not as hard as it once was to tie into the Mach 460 system. An aftermarket head unit makes the system sound somewhat better especially if you add a sub. Of course, ideally, we should all rip the P.O.S. Mach 460 system out and start over with decent equipment.

Kevin, if you want to go aftermarket, call/PM me or one of the other stereo nuts on the site for info. The easiest/quickest repair is to pop another 460 head unit in there for the time being. If I remember right, they switched cable plugs between the 2003 and 2004 model years so I'd look for the same year stock head unit if you are going to go that route so you don't have to adapt the plugs.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Mine's an 03, Todd, do you have it still and how much? I might not mind a quick fix considering how little I drive it lately.

Cliff, we'll talk. I'm definitely interested in an upgrade. I was becoming content with the factory job since I've been busy with other things lately, but I've always wanted to go back to an Alpine unit . . . this time with HD and/or Satellite built-in. But I'm sort of lost on the speakers and amp issues. I had my favorite Infinity's in the trucks, but I don't know what's good or bad in the Cobras.

Suggestions welcomed!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mine's an 03, Todd, do you have it still and how much? I might not mind a quick fix considering how little I drive it lately.

Cliff, we'll talk. I'm definitely interested in an upgrade. I was becoming content with the factory job since I've been busy with other things lately, but I've always wanted to go back to an Alpine unit . . . this time with HD and/or Satellite built-in. But I'm sort of lost on the speakers and amp issues. I had my favorite Infinity's in the trucks, but I don't know what's good or bad in the Cobras.

Suggestions welcomed!

The first question you have to ask yourself is: Do I want to spend $2,500 to get a decent system or do I want to spend more to get a system that will shake the car next to me and will allow me to hear a pin drop on the CD.

To spread out the investment, you can do the upgrades step by step if you want. Head unit and sub first and then speakers later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info