Oil pan capacity test pics....

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Over on SVTP guys were requesting for me to do a test of the capacity of our oil pans. This will help others understand the reason why people have various low oil consumption failures in mod motors.

2.5 quarts

2.5quarts.jpg

3 quarts

3quarts.jpg

4 quarts

4quarts.jpg

6 quarts

6quarts.jpg

7 quarts

7quarts.jpg

9 quarts

9quarts.jpg

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
i saw this thread over there awhile ago
is this the stock oil pan?
this is pretty damn scary considering i used to only run 5 quarts per owners manual including what i put in the oil filter, definitely going to be running much more from now on

Hmm thats weired cause I just posted it tonight over there... Unless someone else did the same thing. IDK

but yeah its pretty nuts... I'm definately gonna be running nothing less than 7 quarts on my new motor once i finish it.

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
Why would you want to run with more oil? as long as the pickup is submerged? why would you want to submerge the crank in oil? im confused

There is NO WAY the crank will be submerged in oil with 7 quarts....
4v Heads hold alot of oil, and there is still the cooler and filter that use oil.
Ive run 6.5 quarts in my car for awhile and next oil change, im putting in 7.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
#1 modulars have the crank further up into the block than 5.0s so you would have to be running a ton of oil to submerge the crank

#2 as already mentioned, the overhead cam heads hold a lot of oil, even the sohc heads hold about .5-.75 i believe and the dohc heads close to a quart

#3 you have to account for oil in the filter and pump etc

#4 there has to be a reason why so many people blow up modulars due to oil starvation ;)

#5 if you actually drive your car the way it was supposed to be driven(hard) the oil will slosh around and the pickup can go dry, especially if one were to spinout or something of that nature

it mustve been another similar thread on svtp or maybe it was somewhere else, but i read it a few days ago nonetheless and was shocked to find out that running 7 quarts or more is considered normal

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
the modular v8 engine is of a y-block design so the oil pan rail is below the centerline of the crankshaft.

given that its also equipped with a windage tray, the rope effect of oil being slung around on the crankshaft counterweights is negated.

its a one piece rear main seal on top of it (and again, the crankshaft centerline is higher than the pan rail) so there's no reason NOT to run 7 quarts.

and if you really get to thinkin' about it, underfilled has the potential to bring on way more expensive problems than overfilled has the potential to bring.

Why would you want to run with more oil? as long as the pickup is submerged? why would you want to submerge the crank in oil? im confused

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
I run between 6.5 and 7 quarts including the oil filter. When I do the oil change I top it off with 6 quarts. After a short drive I let it sit for a while and check the stick, it is religiously right at the bottom of the cross hatched area. .5-1 quart later shes dead even on the fill mark where it should be. Now that I have the MMR high volume oil pump and pick up I put 7 no matter what just to be safe!

JTR

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info