Replace Fuel Filter

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
The guy who bought my old 2000 v6 mustang just called me asking if I had a service manual. He got a new fuel filter and seems worried that if he took the lines off that it would spray gas everywhere. He wants to look up the way you unpressurized the lines before removing them from the filter. I never broke open any fuel lines before, so I wasn't able to say for sure, but what I told him I thought was if the car was off, there is little to no pressure at all in the lines.

So which is it? If you remove the line to the filter will gas gush out under pressure or just want to drip out?

Thanks

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
There is a pressure release valve on the engine [at least there is on our '03/'04 Cobras and I assume the V-6 would have it, too]. Tell him to follow the fuel lines in the engine compartment to find it.

You don't get a lot of fuel coming out if you don't depressurize [maybe an ounce or so] but it can shoot several feet.

Even after depressurizing, there will still probably be drips or a small spurt when he removes the fuel filter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info