Best solution for mulitple Key on 12V accessories ???

O

oohsoobad2

Im now installing an electric w/p, shift light, 2 guages, meth kit and possibly down the line some audio upgrades. What is the best way to run power to all these things without starting my car on fire ??

I have used the small crimp fittings (add-a-circuit,add-a-fuse) and they work well but I dont want to have 7 or 8 of them throughout my car. I do know how to cut and solder but Id like to do as little of that as possible.

Could I run a relay from the single key on 12V source to a distribution block, then to my accessories ?? I think this would work but how many fuses and what rating would I need ?? Would I need a fuse for each item ??

Thanks in advance, electrical is kinda scary to me....

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I just did a few gauges and a Raptor shift light and I went to the Pinouts on the computer for my signals and power sources.

I dbl up on hot or signal and ground (from the gauges and shiftlight) so that I didnt have 3 or more ground wires and 3 or more of the same wires going to the same spot at the Harness/computer. I also soldered everything to be safe. I hate electrical shit!

I have my Amps hooked up at the same spot.

My Alarm is at the fuse block though. I didnt install it , Best Buy did!

I orded my Meth kit from Kurgan and have yet have a look to see whats all involved so no help there.

Here is a pin out Chart I used and you should use as well. Thanks to Carl Wicked03 it was a breeze!

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=22917

Dont know if this is the help yuou wanted but its all I can say:dunno:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm in the same boat with half a dozen accessories powered from key on fuses. So far, I try to keep it to no more than two accessories to any fuse. I believe each one has it own separate fuse. It would be great to have a key on powered box that you could bolt under the dash and plug half a dozen accessories into.

I'm going to talk to Dan and Lyle and see what kind of set up we can design. Maybe it will be a future LDC product.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Im now installing an electric w/p, shift light, 2 guages, meth kit and possibly down the line some audio upgrades. What is the best way to run power to all these things without starting my car on fire ??

I have used the small crimp fittings (add-a-circuit,add-a-fuse) and they work well but I dont want to have 7 or 8 of them throughout my car. I do know how to cut and solder but Id like to do as little of that as possible.

Could I run a relay from the single key on 12V source to a distribution block, then to my accessories ?? I think this would work but how many fuses and what rating would I need ?? Would I need a fuse for each item ??

Thanks in advance, electrical is kinda scary to me....

It isn't that difficult. Each piece pretty much has a spot that is the easiest to connect it to.
For instance, the shift light connects at the PCM.
The gauges can tap into the fuse block for lighting and the cigarette lighter power supply in the console.

The water pump can be powered from a switched 12 volt circuit under the hood near the right edge of the cowl. There is a ssquare black plug that can do the trick.
The relay setup is a good idea for some things and can be powered off of the battery junction box terminal next to the battery.
High power audio upgrades are usually powered from this same terminal with a relay controlling them.

Each accessory circuit needs it's own fuse or curcuit breaker.
The accessory will usually tell you the size or rating of the fuse.

Dan

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Painless Performance has some relay setups if you decide to go that way.

30107.jpg

Painlessperformance.com

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am about to do a bunch of re-wiring of my auxilary stuff. I bought a few Bosch 75amp heavy duty relays. I will splice into the ignition switch wiring. The 12v switched wire from the ignition switch will switch the relays. Each relay will then feed power from the battery to each fuse bus. And every accessory will have a fuse. Should work out pretty well.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
I just did a few gauges and a Raptor shift light and I went to the Pinouts on the computer for my signals and power sources.

I dbl up on hot or signal and ground (from the gauges and shiftlight) so that I didnt have 3 or more ground wires and 3 or more of the same wires going to the same spot at the Harness/computer. I also soldered everything to be safe. I hate electrical shit!

I have my Amps hooked up at the same spot.

My Alarm is at the fuse block though. I didnt install it , Best Buy did!

I orded my Meth kit from Kurgan and have yet have a look to see whats all involved so no help there.

Here is a pin out Chart I used and you should use as well. Thanks to Carl Wicked03 it was a breeze!

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=22917

Dont know if this is the help yuou wanted but its all I can say:dunno:

call me.. ive got your stuff here for ya... im going to byron tomorrow to test with my car!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info