Dealer Warranty Issue

ok my buddy has a VW 1.8T golf. bought it brand new in 2002 and got the extended warranty. car has been in and out or dealer for blown coils and tons of random shit keeps fucking up.

basically his trans shit out on it. i believe all the clutches are just gone cause it rolls out of stop in 1st slowly and slips a bit, 1-2 slips a good amount and 2-3 wont shift unless he lets off the gas and lets it shift. either way needs fixing...

and he took to the dealer he always goes to back in june about 3 weeks before his warranty was up, and previous to that he told them the trans was startin to act up and htey said bring it in before the warranty is up.

he took it and and now they have been telling him they wont warranty his car because of an intake (jsut a carbon fiber intake pipe and filter). they are saying that is the cause of why the trans is gone bad..

isnt there a law that states they have to prove an aftermarket part DIRECTLY affected the warrantied part? they are trying to say cause the intake adds horsepower it fried the clutches.... which is bs... what maybe 1 whp ....

just trying to look for anyone info if anyone had like a site with the laws, i swore there is a law that states they have to proven it indirectly affected it.

so now after 6 weeks of it sitting there they told him to come and take it back they wont do anything which is BS....

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure the warranty can't be voided unless they can prove the trans failure was directly caused by the intake. This goes for any aftermarket part. Unless it can be proven as the direct cause of failure, it shouldn't affect the warranty.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act at the Federal Trade Commission. It outlines these details.

But dealerships can be stubborn and hard-headed about this stuff, so I wouldn't guarantee anything.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'm pretty sure the warranty can't be voided unless they can prove the trans failure was directly caused by the intake. This goes for any aftermarket part. Unless it can be proven as the direct cause of failure, it shouldn't affect the warranty.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act at the Federal Trade Commission. It outlines these details.

But dealerships can be stubborn and hard-headed about this stuff, so I wouldn't guarantee anything.

Beat me to it. Look up the Mag Moss act. If they can prove the intake killed the trans, then they can void it. However, I highly doubt they can.

his mom is a lawyer, so thats not a problem, its the fact if they wanna waste the $ to fight it now.

i guess suposively the warranty states any aftermarket parts void it, but they never said anything about it the 4 other times it was in for blown coil packs and random shit. they claim there is " many turbocharger modifications installed". ha and intake and blow off spacer.

theres not much he can do now, he took it in june 12th before the warranty was done at the end of hte month and they dicked around then said they arnt doing it...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
his mom is a lawyer, so thats not a problem, its the fact if they wanna waste the $ to fight it now.

i guess suposively the warranty states any aftermarket parts void it, but they never said anything about it the 4 other times it was in for blown coil packs and random shit. they claim there is " many turbocharger modifications installed". ha and intake and blow off spacer.

theres not much he can do now, he took it in june 12th before the warranty was done at the end of hte month and they dicked around then said they arent doing it...

I think I would defiantly waste the $ to fight it, Just like you said, the car was serviced, UNDER WARRANTY with aftermarket parts on it, so the dealer doesn't have ANY legs to stand on if that's their argument in court.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i think the fact that it went in under warranty, they dicked around for however long and then suddenly said your SOL because the warranty is over.

they didnt want to do the work, plain and simple and it went in at the perfect time. i think that alone is enough to get what you want.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If he hasn't already, tell him to call VWOA Corperate and mail them a letter, and be sure to send them pictures, and clearly state the Magnus act in your letter, along with the fact that they serviced the car and were aware of the modifications in the past and made no mention of it.

Also include that 'you have notified your attorney' of the matter at the end of the letter.

dont know if there is really a point to go after with a lawyer, he'll just end up spending so much in lawyer fees cause the dealer has money and can just keep pushing back a court date to make you pay more lawyer fees, and in the end he'll have paid more for a lawyer then to fix the car... we wouldnt have a problem removing all the parts and taking it to a diff dealer but the fact that they waited awhile and then told him after it was up, and now he cant take it anywhere else... they may have flagged the warranty in the system too.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
dont know if there is really a point to go after with a lawyer, he'll just end up spending so much in lawyer fees cause the dealer has money and can just keep pushing back a court date to make you pay more lawyer fees, and in the end he'll have paid more for a lawyer then to fix the car... we wouldnt have a problem removing all the parts and taking it to a diff dealer but the fact that they waited awhile and then told him after it was up, and now he cant take it anywhere else... they may have flagged the warranty in the system too.

but you just said:

How would it cost him money?

yeah his mom is a lawyer but she has other work shit to do. she does divorce lawyer and owns serveral DUI counceling clinics.

she doesnt wanna waste her time, and if she did im sure he'd still have to pay her something for spending all the time she would take away from her other shit to deal with his stuff. even if he didnt have to pay her, the dealerships have some much $$ they can afford to keep pushin court dates back thus just making him wait even longer for anything to come of it...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
yeah his mom is a lawyer but she has other work shit to do. she does divorce lawyer and owns serveral DUI counceling clinics.

she doesnt wanna waste her time, and if she did im sure he'd still have to pay her something for spending all the time she would take away from her other shit to deal with his stuff. even if he didnt have to pay her, the dealerships have some much $$ they can afford to keep pushin court dates back thus just making him wait even longer for anything to come of it...

I guess what I'm saying is "If you have a lawyer who is your mom who is at courts all day anyways, I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to let them push it back especially considering they are blatantly breaking the law"

how much is a new trans gonna cost?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
im sure with parts and labor, around 2k.

shes a busy lady, im not even sure if she still does alot of court cases, shes been busy with the DUI clinics lately... either way , its probably a waste of thier time to try anything to do with court...

if that's really the case, and he can AFFORD a new transmission, Take the dealer to small claims court and just Sue them for the price of a new transmission.

He can do that on his own time, with just his moms Consultation, he won't even need her there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info