New engine in...wont crank stumped

O

oohsoobad2

I finally got all the little shit done and tried to start my new motor. I turn the key on and everything on the dash lights up like it should. I then used my XCal2 and flashed the computer. I have the coils and fuel pump disconnected, I wanted to crank for awhile to build some oil pressure. When I hit the key nothing happens. The starter doesnt click or spin or freewheel. All the lights on the dash go out but then pop back on when I release the key.

This is what I know for sure as of now...

The motor will turn with a wrench, its not seized
All the wiring and sensors are hooked up correctly
I have 12V at both fuse boxes with the key on
It is not a P.A.T.S. issue
Brand new starter, had it checked to be sure
Battery is basically new and I charged before using

I am wondering about the clutch cable I installed. Maybe my clutch isnt engaging ??

Also I now have an aluminum block. Could I need better grounds ?? I have all the original grounds from my old block plus another 4ga I added after moving my battery to the back. Is aluminum less conductive, needing another cable perhaps ?? I had grounding problems when I relocated my battery but it wasnt like this. Back then the starter would click when I hit the key, then when I released all the dash lights were dimmed out. I replaced the grounds then and it was fine for a few years.

Any ideas are welcome....

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Sounds like a grounding issue imo..

Dbl check your wires at the starter again.

Take your meter and check to see what you have at starter with the ignition on and while your trying to start ect...

Might be your clutch safty switch as well.

Can always bump the starter if you have help with the clutch in and ign on.

And if you have no fuel to the engine yet,you dont need to have the coils off as long as the pump is off.

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
I finally got all the little shit done and tried to start my new motor. I turn the key on and everything on the dash lights up like it should. I then used my XCal2 and flashed the computer. I have the coils and fuel pump disconnected, I wanted to crank for awhile to build some oil pressure. When I hit the key nothing happens. The starter doesnt click or spin or freewheel. All the lights on the dash go out but then pop back on when I release the key.

This is what I know for sure as of now...

The motor will turn with a wrench, its not seized
All the wiring and sensors are hooked up correctly
I have 12V at both fuse boxes with the key on
It is not a P.A.T.S. issue
Brand new starter, had it checked to be sure
Battery is basically new and I charged before using

I am wondering about the clutch cable I installed. Maybe my clutch isnt engaging ??

Also I now have an aluminum block. Could I need better grounds ?? I have all the original grounds from my old block plus another 4ga I added after moving my battery to the back. Is aluminum less conductive, needing another cable perhaps ?? I had grounding problems when I relocated my battery but it wasnt like this. Back then the starter would click when I hit the key, then when I released all the dash lights were dimmed out. I replaced the grounds then and it was fine for a few years.

Any ideas are welcome....
there is 10 12 gage that is starter solenoid wire where is plugged in to the man harness ...probably when you removed the engine you may disconcerted that wire it is between the battery & the fuse box ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• O
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list