Help me solve this dilema......

O

oohsoobad2

I swapped in a new motor over the winter and added long tubes and a blower. Im set to turn the key after 6 long months. Naturally I have an issue.

I bought Flowtech longtubes (I kno, I kno but they were priced right) I made sure to order the matching X pipe, even though I had to wait cuz it was on back order. Getting the X pipe on is the last thing I need to do, and it would bolt up in 3 spots, but it was off by 3/4in on the passenger side collector. That was too much for me to muscle in, so I took it to a muffler shop. I took measurments before and they heated it up and bent it while I measured. Its alot closer but still isnt going to work. I know Im not going to get it perfect this way.

Now, I am stuck and dont know what to do.

#1 Summit will ship me a new X pipe, but I have to pay return shipping on the one I have and the new one might not be any better.

#2 Tow the car to a muffler shop and have them fit it. This sounds logical, but I would have to tow it twice, to and from the shop. I havent fired my new motor yet and I have changed so many things on the car, Im not comfortable with starting and driving it the way it is now. This option turns my $100 X PIPE into a $350 chore Im sure. The other problem is its off road, most places around wont work on anything without convertors...

#3 Find out if Flowtech (Hooker,Holley) makes a H pipe for long tubes. If this were an H pipe I could have cut the balance tube and clamped on a piece of pipe and been done.

#4 Start my car with open headers.. I really dont want to do this but then I know it runs, I could tow it to a shop and drive it home ?? Neighbors will bitch alot if I do this and I really wont be able to hear the motor over the headers.

I guess these are my options. Im just thinking outloud here and dont know what to do. Maybe someone here has some advice ???

Thanks for looking !!!

O

oohsoobad2

My worry with driving it is that is not really tuned to begin with. I had a base tune written for my blower, injectors and mass air. This was just to get to me started then to the dyno. I really wanted to drive on this tune as little as possible and Im sure running with open headers would alter the a/f some by itself.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
my bbk x didn't match that great either. What i did was put the x pipe bolts to the collectors in loosely (highly angled mind you) then go like 3 turns on each bolt untill it was tight. I had a little plumbers torch from menards to heat up the pipe and when both sides were nice and hot I tightened the bolts the rest of the way. Haven't had a problem yet.

cyac5l8trfcar said:
my bbk x didn't match that great either. What i did was put the x pipe bolts to the collectors in loosely (highly angled mind you) then go like 3 turns on each bolt untill it was tight. I had a little plumbers torch from menards to heat up the pipe and when both sides were nice and hot I tightened the bolts the rest of the way. Haven't had a problem yet.

If you want to heat it up and tighten them I would suggest going to home depot and buying a mapp gas torch 800 degrees in 10 seconds. IT will do the job really fast too-- I love my torch or if you want some help and I came to you to help you fix it i can bring down some tools. :)

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
cyac5l8trfcar said:

How many miles have you put on it since then?? :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info