subframe ? + roll cage ?

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
I'm not going to be racing on a track so I don't need to pass inspection. I really don't want to put a cage in, and if I don't have to I won't. I am not sure if I really need one or not. I see people making that kind of power, driving without them. If more educated folk say that I should definitely get one, then I am looking for a cage that isn't to conspicuous, can still allow passengers in the rear, and will get the job done decently.

As far as the subframe connectors go, you didn't mention if those ones I posted are worth the money, or if I should just go with cheaper ones?

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
94' cobra 351 said:
Thanks for the site, but you didn't answer my question. Are the sub frame connectors I posted a link to a waste of money? Also is a cage necessary, or can I get away without one on the streets?
The Kenny Brown SFCs you posted are great, but Im not sure if they are worth the extra $150 over the beefy MM piece.

If you really have no problem paying $300 for a set of SFCs I would go ahead and get the Kenny Browns.

Dont get a cage if you dont have to IMO, its a street car, keep it that way.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
stay away from pretty much anything kenny brown
its just garbage from both what I've read and my own personal experience and wayyy over priced,
the MM ones are pretty much the best non thru the floor style subframe connectors money can buy, and they arent too pricey either

does that answer your question about subframes,
as for cage, it will stiffen up the car a bit and make it a lot safer, if your going to be stupid and race on the street a cage is still a good idea if you want to live through a high speed accident

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
if you want maximum stiffness without doing a cage go for thru the floors,
I had a set of MM subframe connectors put on awhile back and did notice a significant difference, then i later added thru the floors leaving the MM's on, and I was able to notice the frame being stiffer just from how the car lifted off the ground when jacking it up
let me tell you that shit is STIFF

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
So I will go with the MM SBF, and as far as the roll cage is concerned, it doesn't seem like it is necessary for street purposes. The only reason I had thought about getting one was because of a story I heard about a guy bending his frame with a lot of power, and not being able to close his door... Whether this was true or not, I don't know, but I see 800HP street cars running around without cages so I guess I should be fine.

Thanks for the help

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
I'm a Chassis builder in DeKalb and install serious subframe connectors on Mustangs. I would never cut the floor to install subframe connectors without also integrating a roll cage into the package. The floor structure should be left alone unless installing a spec. type cage (ie. SFI 25.5, 25.2 ) in a FAST car, it's certainly not needed for a street type vehicle. The fact that a car lifts straight when jacked up on one corner doesn't mean anything. The vehicle weight that is trying to twist it while sitting on a jack is nothing compared to engine torque that is applied when launching the car. Subframe connectors alone don't eliminate chassis flex, and they are not all created equal. Be careful what you're buying and more importantly, how they are installed. PM if you want to find out more. Good luck.

Joe

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
that cage would not pass inspection. the door bars can not be on the floor like that. get a wolfe racing cage. http://www.wolferacecraft.com

Yea I second that. Get the Wolfe cage, and IMO the Kenny Brown extremes r too much money, and If youre not welding them in yourself it will cost you $500 to get them installed, I got this quote directly from Livernois motorsports. There is a lot of steel to weld. I got the Maximum Motorsports instead and it was like $220.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info