lookin into a T56

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
looks like i will swap in a T56 once the T5 dies. looked into other options like the g-force T5 and TKO. ive heard the g-force will still be kinda weak. TKO can handle the power but ive heard it is notchy. that leaves me to the T56.

how much will it cost me to swap a 26 spline input shaft T56 into my 94? would it be cheaper to find a used t56 and then modify that?

not looking to do this real soon but i may buy one and keep it for backup just in case.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Jeff Novak is putting 700 rwhp to a TKO2 and it has been working well for a couple of years now. I have driven that car, both cruising and ripping through the gears, and did not find it challenging or a pain in the ass at all. IMO, besides the transmission the clutch setup, firewall adjuster/cable/quadrant and shifter play a role in how comfortable one is with driving a car.

You can also look at the TKO 600 if you would like something stronger.

Per the G Force T5, I am sure they can build it to your specification.

Dave

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Blood on Blood said:
Jeff Novak is putting 700 rwhp to a TKO2 and it has been working well for a couple of years now. I have driven that car, both cruising and ripping through the gears, and did not find it challenging or a pain in the ass at all. IMO, besides the transmission the clutch setup, firewall adjuster/cable/quadrant and shifter play a role in how comfortable one is with driving a car.

You can also look at the TKO 600 if you would like something stronger.

Per the G Force T5, I am sure they can build it to your specification.

Dave

the t5's are built strong but i have heard people were still having problems with it. basically, ive been hearing "you can't pollish a turd"

so the tko didnt feel notchy?

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
gnxs said:
$650 as is, firm.

larry where were u when i needed a trans? lol :D

zach....as for the t-56 its up to u if u want to do it, since it have a smaller first gear ratio than ur stock trans, with ur rear gear, it will potentiall make ur car slower...not to mention that u need all sorts of other parts to make the trans work like a new trans brace, driveshaft, speedcal, and some other stuff. But honestly i really wanted to do a t56 in my car but it was more expensive than the race modified TKO500 i put in my car. The TKO isnt as notchy as people claim its a little exaggerated... its a nice trans for sure and mine is even a 26 spline. But seriously Larry is offering you a HELL OF A DEAL being 650 if he had that when i was looking i would be all over it! so its up to you ...if you need any more help or information i was jsut in this boat last fall so its still fresh in my mind.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
WhtSuperStang said:
larry where were u when i needed a trans? lol :D

zach....as for the t-56 its up to u if u want to do it, since it have a smaller first gear ratio than ur stock trans, with ur rear gear, it will potentiall make ur car slower...not to mention that u need all sorts of other parts to make the trans work like a new trans brace, driveshaft, speedcal, and some other stuff. But honestly i really wanted to do a t56 in my car but it was more expensive than the race modified TKO500 i put in my car. The TKO isnt as notchy as people claim its a little exaggerated... its a nice trans for sure and mine is even a 26 spline. But seriously Larry is offering you a HELL OF A DEAL being 650 if he had that when i was looking i would be all over it! so its up to you ...if you need any more help or information i was jsut in this boat last fall so its still fresh in my mind.

i have been doing some other research and found that it can get pretty expensive and there are some modifications that need to be made ie trans crossmember.

i may end up just going with the g-force T5. no problems with getting it to fit and wont have to get extra parts like a drive shaft. the T5 is also alot lighter and not really in need of that extra gear.

how much did u get ur TKO for? i have heard there are some potential vibration problems when going with those transmisions.

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
maniak said:
i have been doing some other research and found that it can get pretty expensive and there are some modifications that need to be made ie trans crossmember.

i may end up just going with the g-force T5. no problems with getting it to fit and wont have to get extra parts like a drive shaft. the T5 is also alot lighter and not really in need of that extra gear.

how much did u get ur TKO for? i have heard there are some potential vibration problems when going with those transmisions.

i got mine from MMR and it was 1900 and let me tell you its a beast!!!! as for the vibration i really dont feel anything out of the ordinary????

My T5 has held up to 29 drag strip passes on drag radials and a lot of street beating with over 450HP. Learn to drive and it will hold up fine. I know it will go someday and I will just fix it or find another cheep t5 and swap it. Your car is lighter your T5 is stronger and you have less power then my setup. Your only problem some DF put in a stage 3 clutch with is hard on the Trans. Your better off with a clutch that will slip a little and is not like an on off switch. Now that I posted this it will go south fast . Anyone got a used T5 for sale?

A t56 swap is gonna be $$$$ and don't forget a 4.6 bell is different then a 5.0

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
95trippleblackconv said:
My T5 has held up to 29 drag strip passes on drag radials and a lot of street beating with over 450HP. Learn to drive and it will hold up fine. I know it will go someday and I will just fix it or find another cheep t5 and swap it. Your car is lighter your T5 is stronger and you have less power then my setup. Your only problem some DF put in a stage 3 clutch with is hard on the Trans. Your better off with a clutch that will slip a little and is not like an on off switch. Now that I posted this it will go south fast . Anyone got a used T5 for sale?

A t56 swap is gonna be $$$$ and don't forget a 4.6 bell is different then a 5.0

yeah, that clutch worries me :(

as far as learning how to drive it, what do you mean by this?

im just thinkin ahead just in case shit hits the fan. want to be ready with a plan so i am not rushing into anything.

maniak said:
as far as learning how to drive it, what do you mean by this?

Don’t drive it like a 4 cly ricer that has to beat the shit out of it because your engine has no power
Don’t Power shift (leave the gas to the floor when shifting)
Don’t install some big wide slicks and do a John Force burnout and then launch at 5K
Don’t miss gears. I good shifter will help

I went with a soft clutch and it seems to be holding up it was a AFM super king cobra

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
95trippleblackconv said:
Don’t drive it like a 4 cly ricer that has to beat the shit out of it because your engine has no power
Don’t Power shift (leave the gas to the floor when shifting)
Don’t install some big wide slicks and do a John Force burnout and then launch at 5K
Don’t miss gears. I good shifter will help

I went with a soft clutch and it seems to be holding up it was a AFM super king cobra

all logical actions.

dont do any of that so all should be well.

one time on the high way, i was going to down shift into 4th from 5th and had the clutch fully depressed and it wouldnt let me into 4th. just grinded. reved a couple times and it finally went in. i am hoping that the fiore clutch adj. and quadrant will fix this issue.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
CobraChris08 said:
Should have just bought a 03/04 cobra. You would have got a better car and spent less money.

now thats funny :laughing2

it is definetly not cheaper overall. yes i have to mod alot to get to how fast termies are but i would rather do it this way. i would have been BROKE if i bought an 03/04. plus, inssurance would kill me!!! even with buying a new trans, which wont happen for a while, i would still be under the initial cost of a 03/04.
plus, i prefer the 5.0 for now. alot cheaper to mod and gotta love old school pushrod motors :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info