SC install, Oil pan issue.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I just got my SC from Kurgan the other day for my 99 cobra and I was gathering the needed tools per the VORTECH booklet and they call for a 5/8th Tappered punch. I went to Sears, Ace, Home Depot, Berlands and called Grainger. Nobody has this pig! Has anyone done a Vortech install here that could tell me what they used for the oil pan? It says not to drill the pan to punch it so no drill bit debris get in there.

Thanks man!

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
99 Stangbanger said:
I just got my SC from Kurgan the other day for my 99 cobra and I was gathering the needed tools per the VORTECH booklet and they call for a 5/8th Tappered punch. I went to Sears, Ace, Home Depot, Berlands and called Grainger. Nobody has this pig! Has anyone done a Vortech install here that could tell me what they used for the oil pan? It says not to drill the pan to punch it so no drill bit debris get in there.

Thanks man!

pm maniak he just did that on his car he should be able to help u out...

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
WhtSuperStang said:
pm maniak he just did that on his car he should be able to help u out...

Thanks man, Gonna send him a PM now.

Anyone know though just in case I dont hear back from Maniak soon? I was wanting to get the pan done tonight till I hit this Punch problem.Now I guess I will hold off till I find out what to use. I dont want to rush this and mess up the pan.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
99 Stangbanger said:
Thanks man, Gonna send him a PM now.

Anyone know though just in case I dont hear back from Maniak soon? I was wanting to get the pan done tonight till I hit this Punch problem.Now I guess I will hold off till I find out what to use. I dont want to rush this and mess up the pan.

ur PM box is FULL! so i will just put what i said here.

i have not finished yet. i did it slowly over about a week then i had to leave for school and it wasnt done. i had problems with my UPR power pipe which i shouldnt have bought in the first place. should have went with the anderson one at the start. then broke some bolts on the upper intake and i need to find the right legnth cuz i have a plenum spacer. should be able to button it all up in a couple days when i come home for the summer.

i believe i did use a 5/8 punch when i tapped the oil pan. it does say to use one in my instructions as well. i had trippleblackvert help me and he brought over that punch. you can try to PM him to see if you can barrow it. have you tryed finding one online? i did not use a drill, just the punch's. be carefull when punching the hole. i didnt do it in the exact place it wanted me to and i ended up hitting the crank. this shouldnt be an issue but it scared me. it just made a tiny tiny tiny indentation on one of the lobes. it shouldnt be an issue at all though. when tapping, use alot of grease to catch the metal shavings.

if u have anymore questions let me know! dont let that tapping into the pan scare you, just wanted to let you know what happend when i did it.

Oct 5, 2006
99 Stangbanger said:

Thanks man!

We usually drop the pan and weld a bung in. Tapping the oil can risk getting debris into the oil pan. Any exhaust shop or wherever should be able to weld it in for you, though it does require you to drop the subframe. Just a suggestion. :biggthump

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I've tapped several oil pans for Blower return lines.
Load up the threads of the tap with grease, run the tap in a few turns, bring it out, clean out the grease and chips, regrease and run tap in a little further. Keep going until done - if done with relative care you won't get a thing in your oilpan.

Second - THIS is how I get my holes in the pan. Use the little round pointy bit and go slow.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...me=AIR TOOLS&SubCategoryName=AIR TOOL HAMMERS

I have the 3/8 pipe tap and assortment of punches to get the hole to 9/16. Watch for the crank after you get a small hole stick a hanger in a few inches to make sure the crank of something is back their.

When we did maniak's we hit the crank and were only in about 1 inch so we turned it over and it was fine.

Pm me if you want to barrow the tools

DIDRace.com

Regular
Mar 22, 2006
zenriddles said:
I've tapped several oil pans for Blower return lines.
Load up the threads of the tap with grease, run the tap in a few turns, bring it out, clean out the grease and chips, regrease and run tap in a little further. Keep going until done - if done with relative care you won't get a thing in your oilpan.

Second - THIS is how I get my holes in the pan. Use the little round pointy bit and go slow.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...me=AIR TOOLS&SubCategoryName=AIR TOOL HAMMERS

We just do it as a precautionary measure. Not saying it can't be done by tapping the pan, it's just the extra peace of mind that you didn't get any debris in the pan. :cool:

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Thanks for everyones help on this issue. I dont think I want to drop the K unless I'm going to swap it out for a Tubular and funds are not there for that.

The grease and clean method is what I'm gong to do.

zenriddles... I have all that and never even thought of trying it :biggthump

95trippleblackconv.... If I cant find what I need I might have to take you up on your offer :biggthump

DIDRace.com... Thanks for your method. I will keep it in mind :biggthump

maniak... Thanks for getting back with me :biggthump

WhtSuperStang.. Thanks for telling me about Maniak's install :biggthump

Guess I should get busy :headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info