building a 5.4 in a gt

1badblkgt

blkbullit01
Jul 20, 2006
hey guys well i finnaly decided on the motor i am getting its a 2001 lightning motor with 33k on it. i am swapping out the tired 4.6 that is actually blown to the new motor. i have seen this done on fast fords magazine and i was thinking why not try it out. i know sean hyland makes a kit for this swap but i was wondering if anyone has some info on this project before i start it. i am also getting a a t56 for the car to. so can anyone give me some info on this before i start it all. thanks guys i will keep u updated on the swap..... :clap:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Please tell us that you don't plan to use the L roots charger??? You will need a friggin HUGE cowl hood to fit that thing under! Looks totally out of place. It would be killer if you swapped to a N/A intake manifold so that it would be allot shorter put a small cowl hood on to compliment it all and then went with a centrifugal supercharger. That could be a killer combo. It will of course be expensive, but what car build isn't?

I would actually do a custom sheetmetal intake manifold so that I would have even more room and flexibility to play with, but that is just me. I like to have fun like that. :biggthump

Unoid

Libertarian Massa
Aug 30, 2004
Thought of doing this in a blown 99-01 cobra with my 99 L engine when I totaled the body.

Its a great idea but the weight and blower (size) make such a problem.

You'll likely need upgraded front suspension to hold the extra weight and still maneuver closer to what u started with.

even with a 6" cowel you still cna't fit the stock blower in.

I say buy a turbo kit.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
whitemare said:
i wouldn't listen to some of the negative coments made, if you can fit a motor like that in mustang II you can do it to a newer gt ,do whatever you like not what people think you should do http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/americanthunder68/41822f78.jpg

You may want to understand the comments before labeling them as negative. So far the comments all made were extremely valid ones based upon sound thinking. In fact if anything they look to me as being positive while giving good advice. The thread starter requested the info and they were given such so I do not believe your two cents was even required in this matter. :dunno:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
whitemare said:
to me it seems everytime someone tries something different the comments like'' it can't be done '' or ''it's too expensive'' come out .that's the point i was trying to make and as far as my to cents comment i thought this was an open forum

Nobody said it wasn't an open forum. :dunno:

And by the way, you are talking to Rob, the guy that everyone has ALWAYS said "it can't be done," or "it's too expensive..."

I would re-evaluate what you were trying to say, because EVERYONE was just letting him know how labor intense this project will be, let alone trying to find parts/wiring.

And please point out these negative comments, because I just went through for about the tenth time, and still can't find any.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
whitemare said:
that is exactly what i'm talking about ,EVERYONE is trying to stress the point of how expensive and dificult this would be to acomplish this , you guys are missing the point, the chalange and dificulty is what hotroding is all about.

Dude, take a look at my sig. I am and king of overcoming the "it cannot be done" and "thats impossible" comments. Why would I be a hypocrite and tell this guy it cannot be done??? However, I know from ALLOT of personal experience that a custom project like this takes a certain kind of "right person" for the job. Realistically not allot of people are up to a job like this. This guy may be up to it, I don't know. I believe all that any of us were doing was giving a real perspective on the difficulty of this. I am all for a project like this but I will not blow smoke up a persons rear either and refrain from telling them what this project will entail either. A project like this can be difficult but if done correctly it can also be VERY rewarding from an accomplishment standpoint. Take my comments for what they are worth.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
whitemare said:
that is exactly what i'm talking about ,EVERYONE is trying to stress the point of how expensive and dificult this would be to acomplish this , you guys are missing the point, the chalange and dificulty is what hotroding is all about.
Does this sound like someone who wants to spend a alot of money doing a 5.4L swap into his car?
1badblkgt said:
i am in dier need of a motor and i would rather buy a new one and build up the 4.6 or sell it for parts. if anyone can find anything let me know thanks alot
No, it sounds like a 20 year old kid who killed his motor and is looking for a quick replacement to get it back on the road.

Yes a 5.4L swap can be done, we've all seen it, and it works great once completed...but there is ALOT of work and time involved in it. Him finding and buying a Motor was the easy part

1badblkgt

blkbullit01
Jul 20, 2006
well i figured i would just throw it out there to see the chances of this being done its not a money issue at all its time. i wanna get the car running and on the street by summer or hopefully june. thank you everyone for your input i appreciate it. i guess the 5.4 will just have to wait another day cause as it seems its goiing to be alot bigger of a project then i had in mind. but i am still lookin for a motor if anyone can still help on that i would be so thankful, just let me know guys. its crusing weather so everyone have fun and be safe i dont wanna see anymore mustangs on the side of the road :lmao: including mine so see everyone out there soon hopefully :biggthump

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
1badblkgt said:
well i figured i would just throw it out there to see the chances of this being done its not a money issue at all its time. i wanna get the car running and on the street by summer or hopefully june. thank you everyone for your input i appreciate it. i guess the 5.4 will just have to wait another day cause as it seems its goiing to be alot bigger of a project then i had in mind. but i am still lookin for a motor if anyone can still help on that i would be so thankful, just let me know guys. its crusing weather so everyone have fun and be safe i dont wanna see anymore mustangs on the side of the road :lmao: including mine so see everyone out there soon hopefully :biggthump

Ever think of having yours built instead?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
a naturally aspirated 5.4 would be a completely different story as far as swap difficulty goes. if you went n/a or hung a centri on the front, it would be no big deal. 5.4 and 4.6 are the same length.

use your stock wiring harness, just lengthen it in places because the 5.4 is wider. got solder, flux, and shrink tubing?

your cat pipe would have to be modified for the wider 5.4. fair muffler on the corner of plainfield and la grange roads.

you would have to fabricate some sort of intake manifold because your 5.4 manifold would probably come off a truck, which is tuned for low end torque, and is most likely taller than it needs to be.

the t56 is an RPO in a mustang of this vintage so just get the cobra bits and throw them at the car.

if the goal is to be driving the car again soon, an engine swap is not necessarily the best way to achieve that aim.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info